Discussions

Problem adding computers to SBS 2008

+
0 Votes

Problem adding computers to SBS 2008

dugalk
I am having difficulty connecting computers to a new network. I have a fresh install of Windows Small Business Server 2008 running on a brand new server installed in our office. The old server died so I started from scratch.

This is what I've done so far:

Domain created during install, XXXX.local

Enabled DHCP on server, disabled on router, available IP range 100-254
Server IP, 10.X.Y.2
Router IP & Gateway IP on server, 10.X.Y.25
Configured router with ISP DNS Servers, 65.32.1.65, 65.32.1.70
Ran the ???Connect to Internet??? wizard. No errors

Ran ???Configure DNS Server??? Wizard
1. chose create a forward lookup zone
2. chose this server maintains the zone
3. zone name XXXX.local
4. chose allow only secure dynamic updates
5. chose should this DNS server forward queries? ??? YES, entered ISP DNS 65.32.1.65, validated OK
6. Finished wizard

Added Users to Active Directory

I cannot get any computers to connect to this new domain. With SBS you have to use a web interface on the server at http://connect or bring the connect utility on thumb drive to each machine. This fails on every computer either way I try it. If I try the web interface I get sent out to the internet to connect.com. If I try the launcher.exe I get: ???there was an issue with downloading the Connect Computer application???.

The client computers can access the internet, but they can no longer communicate with each other. All the computers were on another domain from the dead server.

The IP settings in the client machines seem to be fine. Example:

IP ??? 10.X.Y.114
Mask ??? 255.255.255.0
Gateway ??? 10.X.Y.25
DCHP ??? 10.X.Y.2
DNS ??? 10.X.Y.2

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or need to do now?
  • +
    1 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer".

+
    0 Votes
    dugalk

I added XXXX.local to the client machine DNS suffix and I was able to connect to the server.

• +
    1 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Try reposting this in the 'Q&A' forum. The 'Discussion' forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The 'Water Cooler' is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to 'Q&A' here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you'll find more of those members in 'Q&A' than in 'Discussions' or 'Water Cooler'.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a '+' does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won't need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as "The Answer".

+
    0 Votes
    dugalk

I added XXXX.local to the client machine DNS suffix and I was able to connect to the server.