Question

• Creator
    Topic

Problem with Web Browser or possibly internet

by japanto01 ·

When i first turn on my computer, the internet seems fine.

It works just fine until some point, when i try to use it again, it takes forever to load, or sometime just doesnt.

I use firefox and the bottom says
    “Waiting for ……”
    The right hand side shows the bar go half way through and it seems to stay there.

I dont understand what the problem is as i use trillian, but it works just fine.

I changed browser to chrome, IE, etc, and they all dont work for some reason.

Also some certain websites that i used to open cannot be opened even when it works fine.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Problem with Web Browser or possibly internet

Clarifications

There could be a number of reasons for this

by deadly ernest ·

the first thing I’d do is to clear the cache and the cookies for all the browsers.

second, run anti-virus software as it sounds like you may have a trojan.

third, if it’s OK for you to do so, restore to a point a couple of days before, or earlier, than this problem started.

fourth, check the start up list and look for anything new you don’t know about.

fifth, check the MSCONFIG and Registry IF you know how to do this and are happy doing so.

System Restore

by japanto01 ·

In reply to There could be a number of reasons for this

Is there any way to restore greater than 1 day on XP unless i made a restore point?

I know it was working fine 3 days ago.

Also i know it used to have trojans and i deleted some amount.

the system usually creates an auto restore point

by deadly ernest ·

In reply to System Restore

whenever you do any security updates or load new software, just look for the bolded dates in the calendar when you get into the Restore program.

Try this

by rob miners ·

Run this Rootkit Revealer GMer
      Gmer

FAQ
      FAQ

Follow the steps below with the System started and restarted in Safe Mode with Networking. Running in Safe Mode loads a minimal set of drivers for the Operating System. You can use these options to start Windows so that you can modify the registry or load or remove drivers.

With the new strains of Virus that have been created you may find it necessary to rename the executable files so that they will work. Rename mbam-setup.exe and then navigate to the install folder and rename mbam.exe. Do not change the files extension from .exe. Do the same with Spybot.

Removing malware from System Restore points
      To remove the malware, you must first disable System Restore, then scan the system with up-to-date antivirus software – allowing it to clean, delete, or quarantine any viruses found. After the system has been disinfected, you may then re-enable System Restore. The steps for disabling System Restore vary, depending on whether the default Start Menu or the Classic Start Menu is being used.

Default Start Menu XP
      If using the default Start Menu, click Start | Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | System. Select the System Restore tab and check “Turn off System Restore”.

Classic Start Menu XP
      If using the Classic Start Menu, click Start | Settings | Control Panel and double-click the System icon. Select the System Restore tab and check “Turn off System Restore”.

Vista
      Start, right mouse click Computer and select Properties. Select Advanced System Properties, click contine and then System Protection. Untick the box nect to Local Disk C: and click on Turn System Restore off.

After scanning the system and removing the offending malware, re-enable System Restore by repeating the steps, this time removing the check from “Turn off System Restore”.

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, install it and update it.

Malwarebytes

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
      * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
      * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
      * Once the program has loaded, select Perform Quick Scan, then click Scan.
      * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
      * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
      mbam-rules

I would keep scanning with it until it is clean by closing out and rebooting and running it again.

You may have to copy MBAM and the Update to USB as well.

From another PC download and install Spybot, update it and copy the the installed folders to a USB Stick.

Restart the PC in Safe Mode, navigate to the USB stick and run Spybot and MBAM and the Update if necessary.

Download Spybot – Search & Destroy and install it. Update it.

Spybot

Quesiton

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Try this

Should i do those things while being in Safe Mode with Networking?

So far, my internet work amazingly nice so im guessing its a trojan or something?

Yep

by rob miners ·

In reply to Quesiton

If you follow the instructions you should be OK.

Hmmm

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Yep

Well did it, but sadly still seems to take some damn time loading. Works fine in safe mode so i dont get what the problem is..

There does seem to be more trojans when i use the program in normal mode, but it seems to crash when i try to delete them.

A couple of checks

by rob miners ·

In reply to Hmmm

Registry:

Download and install CCleaner to tidy up your Registry. Backup the Registry as you go along, rescan again and again saving as you go until there are no errors left.

Cleaner: Windows

When you first open Ccleaner you will have an option to Analyze or Run Cleaner, after checking the left Pane and making your choices. Delete all Temp Files. If you scroll down you will see a greyed out box that has Advanced next to it. Left click on it and keep pressing OK to all of the responses. I normally Untick Windows Log Files and Memory Dumps as they may come in handy.

You don’t have to install all of the add ons or shortcuts just the one to the Desktop.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Click Start, Run type msconfig and press Enter.

Now if you have the Configuration Utility open.
          Configure selective startup options
          In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
          Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
          Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
          Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.
          Click the Services tab.
          Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
          Click Disable All, and then click OK.
          When you are prompted, save the settings and restart the PC.

If it is working in Normal mode re-enable one item at a time until you find out what is causing the problems.
          When you have it sorted out re-run the Configuration Utility and in the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Normal Startup.

Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance. 😉 😀

Safe mode or not?

by japanto01 ·

In reply to A couple of checks

Should this be done in safe mode or normal?

Also its fairly late here so i may have to continue later on.

Thank you for your current assistance.

If your clear

by rob miners ·

In reply to Safe mode or not?

of Virus activity it can be achieved in either mode. Just boot up and run them. You will have to restart when you use msconfig in normal mode. You get some rest as I’m off to have a game of cards at a mates place. 😉

Alright

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Try this

Ok, so it works mostly. Some sites are still limited, but it works as normal speed at the entire time.

I have put back most of the services, until i found 1 service that does not say any manufacture.

Is it possible this thing is affecting?

The name is
        lxdj_device

Do you have a

by rob miners ·

In reply to Alright

Lexmark printer. If you have you can ignore it. If not remove it.

To check the Registry location for the offending file you can use Msconfig
          Click Start and type msconfig and press Enter.
          For the first suspicious item, expand the “Location” column to see where it is loading from in the registry.
          Click on Start, Run, type “regedt32” and click OK.
          Browse to the key listed in the “Location” column for Msconfig.
          Delete the key on the right hand side only, that specifically matches that startup item. **See example below.**
          Note the “Command” folder in Msconfig. Browse to this folder, and delete the .exe file itself. **See example below.**
          :::::EXAMPLE:::::
          In this example, the Startup Tab of Msconfig indicates that:
          xyz.exe loads from Command “C:\WINDOWS\xyz.exe” and Location
          “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run”
          In this case, we go to the registry editor and find that Run key on the left window. On the right hand Window pane you’ll see each item in that Run key, specifically “xyz.exe” in this case. Delete the entry for “xyz.exe” in the registry only.
          In addition, we’ll browse to the C:\WINDOWS folder, and manually delete the xyz.exe file that resides there if it is still there.
          Repeat these steps for each suspicious item.

“Some sites are still limited” what do you mean is there an error message.

I see

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Do you have a

Alright, found 1 suspicious thing.

It says xraidsetup.exe and its suppose to be in run key. I dont see it there though is the problem

This is the info on it

by rob miners ·

In reply to I see

The process JMicron JMB36X RAID Configurer or Gigabyte RAID Configurer belongs to the software JMicron JMB36X RAID Configurer or Gigabyte RAID Configurer by JMicron Technology Corp or Gigabyte Technology Corp.

Description: xRaidSetup.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 1,953,792 bytes (62% of all occurrence), 1,966,080 bytes, 1,957,888 bytes.
          The program has a visible window. File xRaidSetup.exe is not a Windows system file. The process starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). xRaidSetup.exe is able to record inputs.

What are the error messages when you visit a site?

Got sometihng else

by japanto01 ·

In reply to This is the info on it

When i checked it on my internet, i came with the info that it was a malware instead of a legitimate program.

Nevermind, seems like it suddenly slowed down when i turned on a different service, ill try and find it.

Alright, found something called AGProtect. Malware remover recognizes this as a trojan. I deleted it again and again, but it keeps coming back when i restart the computer. (Deleted by registry editor)

Any idea?

Weird

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Do you have a

Well found out one thing that was causing my internet to slow down as hell.

ESET Service. Im confused since this is my usual antivirus software. Should i uninstall it or something or just leave it unclenched in system configuration utility?

Uninstall it

by rob miners ·

In reply to Weird

through Add Remove Programs but first download and install this. Let it update before using the internet.

I have been using Avast which is free for home use, you only have to register it.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as Helpful so that others may benefit from the outcome. 😉 😀 :-bd

How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?
          Click on the answer. Click the Mark “Helpful” button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as “Helpful.”

About Windows firewall

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Uninstall it

Does Avast take over windows firewall? When i tried to start it, i get an error saying that the system cannot find the file specified: Error 2.

Seems like i am unable to connect to internet suddenly.. It just says address not found. Nothing shows up on Network connections, what happened?

Did you remove

by rob miners ·

In reply to About Windows firewall

the old AntiVirus software before installing Avast. It should be removed before installing Avast. If you did or didn’t then uninstall and reinstall Avast.

Whats going on?

by japanto01 ·

I uninstalled it and restarted the computer. Nothing shows on Network connection and Windows Firewall still wont turn on with the error said before.

Checked device manager.. All of my network adapters have a “!” mark on them

Check your network settings

by deadly ernest ·

some AV software set up a software proxy for their operation, maybe the old one worked this way. just check your network settings are what they should be, especially the settings for the gateway and DNS.

After that, check you network interface card driver is loaded and working properly – easiest way is often to reload it if you can.

I dont understand

by japanto01 ·

When you tell me to check my network setting? Which one? (setting of router? Wireless card?)

I cannot do anything about the drivers as they are showing an error and not working. Code 39.

If the NIC driver isn’t working, you need to get the original

by deadly ernest ·

driver disc for it and reload it as without a working NIC you won’t get anything.

I mentioned the network settings before as the network settings for the NIC in the computer. If it doesn’t see the gateway it can’t see the Internet; a wrong gateway IP, a wrong netmask and wrong DNS setting will all likely kill the ability to access the Internet.

BTW AV is shorthand for Anti Virus meaning the Anti Virus software.

Did you

by rob miners ·

In reply to Try this

run all of the Malware and AV scans in Safe Mode?

Try this for the missing files.

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/251/1/Error-2-when-starting-the-Windows-Firewall-service.html

No actually

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Did you

For AV, do you mean avast? since i uninstalled that.

Ill re run the malware in safe mode again and try that thing for hte missing file.

Will do this tomorrow and its late here again.

Thank you so far.

Well

by japanto01 ·

In reply to Did you

Im starting to give up on this a little.

I did try that for the missing file and it just took away the error 2 message, but still not turning on.

My network adapter show similar to the following thread.
          http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/348804-new-network-adapters-all-drivers-corrupt-missing.html

The bottom picture on the left shows how it shows up for me.

No idea how to fix this as i uninstalled, reinstalled, (failed system restore), etc

I haven’t seen that before either

by rob miners ·

In reply to Well

but you can try this to see if it will help.

To grant Full Control permissions to the SYSTEM account, follow these steps:
          On the Windows desktop, double-click My Computer. The My Computer window appears.
          Right-click (C:) and then click Properties.
          Click Sharing and Security.
          On the Security tab, do the following:
          If you are using Microsoft Windows XP, verify that the Group or user names box contains the SYSTEM user account.
          If the SYSTEM user account does not appear in the box, follow these steps to add the SYSTEM account to the box:
          Click Add. The Select Users or Groups dialog box appears.
          In the Name field, click SYSTEM, and then click Add.
          Click OK.
          In the Permissions section, click to select the Full Control check all relevent boxes except Special Permissions under Allow, and then click Advanced.
          Do the following:
          If you are using Windows XP, in the dialog box that appears, click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box for the SYSTEM account, and then click OK.
          Note If you receive a security message, click Yes.
          Wait for the operating system to apply the permissions that you have selected to all child folders. Restart the System and check to see if the Network adapters are working.
          Try uninstalling the devices again and then reinstall.
          If that doesn’t work it may be time to do a fresh install as it appears that the Registry is corrupting. There is no longer a Restore point to go back to.

Darik’s Boot and Nuke can be used to completely erase the drive.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Autonuke should do it by running it at least 3 times.

When it has finished, boot from the XP CD and reinstall. Recreate your Partitions and have your Motherboard CD ready so that you can load all of the Drivers for it.

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

If you think that any of the posts that have been made by all TechRepublic Members, have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as Helpful so that others may benefit from the outcome. 😉 😀 :-bd

How do I rate the answers to my posted Question?
          Click on the answer. Click the Mark “Helpful” button displayed below the post. You may mark more than one answer as “Helpful.”

Temporary internet files

by sundaybiker ·

Try to change the value for the Temp interent files (in Tools, Int Options, Temp Int Files) and change it to about 50MB, not more, see if it works.

Viewing 3 reply threads