General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Professional development and technical resources

by steven.jackson ·

What essential and proven resources exist that support technical and professional growth to DBA?s (or technicians) who are limited to narrow focus work that supports a daily grind?

What resources are essential to DBA?s facing production issues (or maintain current information involving bug fixes, releases, known problem, and resolutions)?

What resources exist that can provide a quick, efficient, and broad overview of technology issues and information for edification of technicians working narrow capacities (but eliminating the hype and advertising of most journals)

What are the most important sites and documents that provide quick, dependable, organized and concise help and information that DBA?s consistently rely on?

What are the best timesavers for DBA?s (Whether technical, monitoring, problem solving or office automation).

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

HHHHMMMMMM!!!!

by dan powers ·

In reply to Professional development and technical resources

I’ve seen this post for a couple of days now with no
      responses. This tells me that there is a HUGE lack in what
      you need. While I don’t have an answer to your questions I
      do see your opportunity.

Let me suggest you call the new website
      http://www.DBARepulic.com…

Good Luck!!! 🙂

dba sites

by dr dij ·

In reply to HHHHMMMMMM!!!!

your question is sort of vast

there are many sites. I certainly don’t know them all. related sites on data warehousing, such as tdwi.org, and many others.

not everything is freely available. you may need to join acm.org or ieee.org and subscribe to their digital library archives on computers and software engg.

other resources would be in the form of training courses on the various vendor’s databases.

for just books, books24x7.com has 21 books you can read online or search, that have DBA in title, and many more of interest to DBAs. Subs is expensive but worth it.

have you googled to look for sites?

dba site and professional support

by steven.jackson ·

In reply to dba sites

Thanks DR Dij
          I am a memeber of IEEE, ACM and Oracle user group. I also have Books 24×7 and Audible.
          I have even completed a D.sc in IS.

These are all great resources.

But what i am looking for is feedback from other professionals who might say
          “This site(s), group or book is my center piece for finding technical solutions, or for helping me in my professional development or leading me to the best resources.” Perhaps it doesn’t exist (technical paradise?) but with such a flood of information, what is the resource that you find consistently helpful.

Thanks so much for your reply and thoughts – I appreciate it.

-Steven

Hmmmnn (again!)

by dr dij ·

In reply to dba site and professional support

Maybe TR would like to start DBARepublic.com like the dep0we said.

Some technical questions would do better under database specific sites such as Oracle or even product specific sites such as SAP users, tho as answers will differ by product due to differences in their SQL syntax, utilities, etc.

I’m a developer, not a DBA. Isn’t there a DBA magazine for example? If so it shouldn’t it have a website and technical discussions?

Maybe not… then here’s a chance to start the site

BTW, what is Audible?

{added:]
          I see a site for Oracle DBAs: dbasupport.com
          and a magazine: dbazine.com
          (claims it is a portal to the database industry)

Recommended sites

by vette95 ·

In reply to Professional development and technical resources

Depending on your flavor of database. I have been a member of http://www.SQLServerCentral.com and it has been a great resource for MS SQL Server.

I have also done some research on http://www.databasejournal.com and it seems to have articles that cover many other databases in addition to SQL Server.

Cheers.

Viewing 1 reply thread