General discussion

Programming: Desktop software vs Cloud computing. What to learn?

By luc_andre ·
As a new programmer with small experience in both web and desktop programming, what would be the recommended path to follow for learning and developing a new application in an age where cloud computing seems to be more popular than desktop based software?

What are your thoughts?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Well in the UK

by Tony Hopkinson In reply to Programming: Desktop soft ...

At the monent there are far more people looking for ASP.Net than C#.net. The accepted mudel for the cloud is internet based so ASP and .Net would be the way to go over here.

I'd hit the job sites to see who wants what in your location.
Above all I'd remember that you are talking about tools and environment, not programming. If you can write a desktop application competently you can do a web one and vice versa.

Collapse -

especially in .NET

by jck In reply to Well in the UK

You basically will use a webform, rather than a winform...and use web controls rather than windows controls...

then rather than doing a package deployment or copying files to each PC, ya just deploy the files or copy them to the webserver directory where the site is hosted.

only difference i've ever seen in Winform and Webform is...if you lose your webserver...all your users are screwed.

pushing out updates to Windows apps can be made as simple as webapps. just takes a little more ingenuity in programming, but it can be done.

Back to Software Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums