General discussion

Prove that Windows 2000 Server will run

By Peter Bate ·
Hi there,

You know, I have been installing operating systems since I was in Highschool and one thing I had noticed over the years is that MS product's minimum specifications on RAM are at least half of what you should really run the systems on.
So now I've been given the task to bring our servers up to speed on the 2000 server environment and "they" only want to spend money to upgrade RAM to 128Mb. I am saying no, at least 256Mb and they are saying, let's see it run like a dog on 128Mb and then we may buy the extra ram!!! Then I beat my head up against a brick wall!!!

Ohh why me!! Anyways. I was wondering if any of you Guru's out there have something I can put on the server to make it run slow! (Not a virus but!!) or if anyonehas had this problem before, let me know how you turned their minds around!!

I tell you, it's like working for sheep eh? You know what I mean!

Thanks,
Pete

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dft3 In reply to Prove that Windows 2000 S ...

I would suggest you cut the paging file size way down from what it should be and then task it as usual. This will cause a bunch of intermittent problems as crashes. This ought to persuade them to buy the extra RAM.

Depending on how savvy they are, you might want to do something like remove the boot.ini file, which, will cause it not to boot at all. Then, you can tell them that the reason it won’t boot is because there’s not enough memory. I can’t believe you’re having this problem considering how much the cost of RAM has dropped lately.

Collapse -

by Peter Bate In reply to Prove that Windows 2000 S ...

Thanks soo much for your input!! I reduced the pagefile size and it seems to be a little shaky. I dunno about the boot.ini file, I think they may crack on to what I am trying to do. : )

Pete

Collapse -

by avachon In reply to Prove that Windows 2000 S ...

Hi, windows2000 magazine recently ran the results of its tests comparing microsoft's requirements to their field tests. You are quite right that the minimum really should be 256mb and possibly more depending on what you run. You could access that information as a backup to your well-informed claim. Also, since the network will not be optimized, how much money will be lost from that? Is that worth it to them given that ram is such a minor and necessary upgrade? Perhaps you could float some estimates past them. I wouldn't do anything to put my creditbility on the line, but at non-critical times you could simply stop the csrss process in task manager and that will give you a nice crash screen to look at. Perhaps a periodic crash - unexplained- and unlinked to configruation such as paging files may add a much needed boost to your claim. Good luck.

Collapse -

Thanks heaps for your input! I printed out that article, highlighted the new minimum requirements and stuffed it under the bosses face! huh - take that!! : ) We'll see how it goes!!

Collapse -

by davis137 In reply to Prove that Windows 2000 S ...

I here you but this can be difficult. You have to remember, the typical server is overbuilt. (the typical 486/16MB ram will support 10 connections with NT Server with no problem. But we are fielding PIII 700 systems which can support 5000 users withno problem.

I would take a different tact and see if you can get rolling with Windows 2000 Adbvanced Server. Here you would instantly be on the short track for the additional RAM and fault tolerant HD's.

Here you have my short list of things that will slow down a server.

Place the pagefile.sys on the same partition as the boot files then resize the pagefile size to 2MB.

load a really big BMP as the background BMP

load a 4GL screen saver with a wait time of 1 minute.

In 64MB load Exchange (do not optimize) and Sql 6.5

Load a virus scanner and set it to scan all files all of the time.

load NT on a 400MB fat partition and put a 2mb swap file in the partition. On a second partition of the same Hard Drive load Exchange 5.5

Collapse -

Thanks so much for your input!! Let's see this computer grind to a halt!! bwahaha! Wish me luck!!

Collapse -

by pVp In reply to Prove that Windows 2000 S ...

I wouldn't compromise the system setup!

I'd be inclined to do it their way and wait for the performance complaints. Then comes "I told you so."

If they don't spring for the RAM at that time, well, between the lack of respect for my expertise and opinion, and operating stupidity, I'd dust off my resume and scoot.

Collapse -

Yeah, I am starting to get the impression that these guys don't really need an IT guy here.... We'll see.

Thanks,
Pete

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums