Question

• Creator
    Topic

RAM – Motherboard – Case

by dwyeredward1 ·

Where can I find a motherboard (and case) that will support:

Two (2) SNP9U176C/2G – DELL-2GB 266MHZ PC-2100 184-PIN DIMM CL2.5 ECC DDR SDRAM. I have a 2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 – 8 kilobyte primary memory cache – 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache – Not hyper-threaded processor that I want to use also.

I know I’m behind the times, but this is what I have and can afford. I used to build my own desktops, but it has been awhile. I have been unable to find anything online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by dwyeredward1 ·

In reply to RAM – Motherboard – Case

Clarifications

Tail wagging the dog

by robo_dev ·

I mean no disrespect to your hardware, but 2-GB 2100 is $5 with free shipping on eBay, and there are multiple ‘Buy It Now’ for less than $5 (with free shipping) for that CPU.

On eBay a Dell 2.4GHZ desktop (Dimension 2400) goes for less than $50 with shipping, and it has RAM and CPU already installed.

Looking at the Dell Factory Outlet site:

Inspiron 570
      Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Processor (3.0GHz, 2MB)
      Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
      Inspiron Desktop 570 MiniTower
      1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
      6 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (3x2GB)
      16X DVD+/-RW Drive
      Price: $309.00

Also checkout shopgoodwill DOT com (replace DOT with .)

Reponse To Answer

by rob kuhn ·

In reply to Tail wagging the dog

That’s a pretty cool deal! That would make a decent Unbuntu machine for me! 🙂

If you have nothing nice to say…

by dwyeredward1 ·

I know what the costs are for this RAM, but I am trying to use what I have. Is that OK with you? Also, as I said, I have the CPU. I also have a hard drive, etc. All I would like is a recommendation on where to find a case and motherboard. Replace the ‘DOT’ with a ‘.’? REALLY?? You’re a real piece of work (trying to keep it PG). Typical IT know-it-all. I am an IT professional, but I never talked down to anyone like you just have.

Reponse To Answer

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to If you have nothing nice to say…

Have you tried Newegg.com or Tigerdirect.com to locate a motherboard and case to support your existing processor and RAM?

As for him talking down, I think he simply misunderstood your request; reread his post with that in mind.

Reponse To Answer

by rob kuhn ·

The problem with these types of forums is that often times responses can be taken out of context. I don’t think [b]robo_dev[/b] meant any disrespect (and in fact he opened his response with that).

He was just merely pointing out that it may not be worth the time and efffort and that [b]if[/b] budget allows perhaps getting something a bit more current. Or at least something to that effect.

That said [b]geeks.com[/b] has a socket 478 motherboard (refurbished) for $39.99 (USD); part # P4M-865G-MAXII-BO. I’m fairly sure that your memory is compatibled with this motherboard but to be sure I’d shoot them an e-mail or give them a call.

Since it’s an ATX form factor just about any case made today will work. I have also purchased from them (they are actually local to me) and have been 100% satisified with their service.

I assume you already have an OS to install? If not Linux/Unbuntu is ideal for this hardware (and it’s free 🙂 ).

Lastly, the ‘DOT’ with a ‘.’ is not meant out of disrespect. It’s just a way to protect sites, people, etc. from attacks (for a lack of a better description; I tend to refer to it as [b]site-scrapers[/b] as they scrape sites looking for URLs, e-mail addresses, etc…).

Also, [b]robo_dev[/b] is a decent person. I did not take his comment to be anything but helpful. If you’d look at some of his past responses you would have been able to see he is a person who knows what he’s talking about and is always respectful to others. I don’t know him personally but I’ve come to respect his experiences and skillset. 🙂

Reponse To Answer

by robo_dev ·

To be clear, when someone posts a question on TR, there is no CV or resume that tells me if they are a 90-year-old retiree or somebody who can create assembly code, so if I talked down to you, I apologize.

The short answer to your question is eBay, but I would think that’s somewhat obvious, and if you cannot find anything online, I would assume that you meant nothing for a reasonable price.

To buy a motherboard or case as a repair part is typically triple the cost of a used computer on eBay.

I’m not clear what question you’re asking; the issue in this case (no pun intended) is that if your life depending on re-using the pieces parts you have, you could buy a refurbed Dell motherboard and case for probably something like $200 on eBay.

Or you can spend $50 for a similar used PC on eBay, or $300 for a brand new one.

On eBay, a motherboard and case probably costs around $50 as well, so having a known working PC vs the chance of bending a processor pin or killing a RAM chip with ESD is not worth it, in my humble opinion.

I am only trying to help here..cheers.

Reponse To Answer

by hal 9000 ·

RE:- [i]Replace the ‘DOT’ with a ‘.’? REALLY??[/i]

That is because TR strips out the post and regards it as Spam. It doesn’t like URLs being posted to it. That is nothing aimed at you other than to let you know how to access the site that was mentioned.

As what you wants will tend to be Second Hand you should start looking at where you can buy what you want which will require Local Knowledge as to who has what.

I could suggest a specific M’Board but it’s pointless if that was a Low Sale Model new. Even still most of the Second Hand Stuff that I have seen when it comes to M’Boards come with a CPU if that’s any help particularly the Old P4 Socket stuff prior to the Socket 478 if I am remembering correctly the Non HTT P4’s had a different socket but really you need to look at the Socket Type listed on the CPU not the description that you have given above.

Again the Case very much depends on Local Knowledge though if you had the chance to get a Antec Case & Power Supply I would grab it with both hands as quickly as possible.

Col

Check for PC Recyclers in your area

by thechas ·

The first place i go when I want / need older hardware is my local computer recyclers.

As we have 2 such firms in the Grand Rapids area, I would like to presume that there are several in the greater Chicago area.

That said, I did check on the NewEgg website and they list 2 refurbished Intel brand socket 478 motherboards.

I’ve purchased a lot of stuff from the Geeks too and if the FIC motherboard they have fits your needs, it would be a fair choice.

Chas

Viewing 3 reply threads