Question

• Creator
    Topic

Re-installing Photoshop – Won’t install and receive error code -106

by muir.jankowski ·

Hi – Please can anyone help? My version of Photoshop 7.0 appears to be corrupt and many features not working. I have uninstalled it and tried to reinstall. Now the disk is halting at 5% installation and coming up with error code -106. Does anyone know what this means? Is this bad news or is there a way to re-install? I have tried to do a system restore but this has not worked…I assume it can’t reinstate uninstalled software? Thanks.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by muir.jankowski ·

In reply to Re-installing Photoshop – Won’t install and receive error code -106

Clarifications

do this

by sreevatsamk ·

The error “ComponentMoveData…Error Number: -106…” indicates that the installer cannot decompress a file. This can happen if the CD-ROM is dirty or damaged, if hard disk space is insufficient, or if the installer conflicts with an application or device driver.

You could try copying the contents of your CD-ROM (or the essential folders) to your HDD or a network drive. You will soon find out of there is dirt or damage on the CD, and if not, you can easily then install from your HDD or network drive.
      try installing the photoshop in safe mode……

Different error code now…

by muir.jankowski ·

In reply to do this

Thanks for the advice. Have tried this and obviously the disk is damaged. I now have a message come up when I try to run the installation reading ‘unable to find the installation language in the folder SETUP.LID. Error 105. Does anyone know what this means and whether I can download a file or patch from somewhere?

TRY THIS……………

by gettricey ·

In reply to Different error code now…

Solutions

Do one or more of the following:

Solution 1: Install the revised Photoshop 7.0.1 update.

You can download the update from the Adobe website at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ .

Solution 2: Delete all temporary files, and then reinstall the Photoshop 7.0.1 update.

Delete all temporary files (including those left on the hard disk by the Photoshop installer), and then reinstall the Photoshop 7.0.1 update.

To delete temporary files:

1. Enable Windows to show hidden files and folders:

a. Choose Tools > Folder Options (Windows XP, 2000, or Me), View > Folder Options (Windows 98), or View > Options (Windows NT).

b. Click the View tab.

c. Select Show Hidden Files and Folders in the Hidden Files and Folders section (Windows XP, 2000, or Me), or Show All Files in the Hidden Files section (Windows 98 or NT), and then click OK.

2. Exit from open applications.

3. Choose Start > Search, and then click All Files or Folders.

4. Type *.tmpin the All or Part of the File Name text box.

5. Choose Local Hard Drives from the Look In pop-up menu, and then click Search.

6. After the search results appear, choose Edit > Select All.

7. Choose File > Delete. Click Yes to confirm that you want to send the files to the Recycle Bin.

8. Delete all folders and files with the following names from the Windows/Temp folder and the Documents or Settings/[user profile]/Local Settings/Temp folder:

Folders

_istmp[x].dir

Files

_ins[x]._mp

_inst32i.ex_

_inz[x]._mp

_isdel.exe

_istmp[x].dir

_setup.dll

_setup.lib

_wutl[x].dll

~ins[x].~mp

where “[x]” is any number

9. Empty the Recycle Bin.

10. Restart Windows.

Solution 3: Extract the files from the Photoshop 7.0.1 update, and then double-click the Setup.exe file.

Extract the files from the Photoshop 7.0.1 update file (Ps701up.exe) using the WinZip utility (for instructions, see the documentation included with the utility). Then install the update by double-clicking the Setup.exe file. (You can purchase WinZip or download an evaluation version from the WinZip website at http://www.winzip.com .)

Solution 4: Rename the Psicon.dll file, and then reinstall the Photoshop 7.0.1 update.

Rename the Psicon.dll file in the Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Shell folder to “Psicon.old,” and then reinstall the Photoshop 7.0.1 update. (You do not need to restore the file’s original name after installing the update.)

Solution 5: Turn off virus protection software, and then install the Photoshop 7.0.1 update in Safe mode.

To turn off virus protection software, and then install the Photoshop 7.0.1 update in Safe Mode:

1. Turn off any virus protection software installed in the system. For instructions, see the documentation included with the virus protection software.

2. Exit from all applications.

3. Restart Windows, and press the F8 key as the computer restarts or when you receive the message “Please select the operating system to start.”

4. Select Safe Mode from the Windows Advanced Options menu.

5. In Windows Explorer, run the installer by double-clicking the Photoshop 7.0.1 update file (Ps701up.exe). (If you extracted the installer files, double-clickSetup.exe instead of Ps701up.exe.)

6. Restart Windows.

Background information

The Photoshop 7.0.1 update file (Ps701up.exe) that has a Modified date of August 23, 2002, may not extract the compressed files when you double-click or run the file. The revised Photoshop 7.0.1 update file, which has a Modified date of September 13, 2002, does not have this problem. (To view the Modified date, right-click the file, and then choose Properties from the pop-up menu.)

The Photoshop update installer copies temporary files to the hard disk to decompress and load them. Typically, the installer removes these temporary files after it completes the installation. However, if the installation fails, these temporary files can remain on the hard disk and cause an error when you try to reinstall the update.

Windows and applications store working data in temporary (.tmp) files that they create on the hard disk. Excessive numbers of temporary files can interfere with the Photoshop update installation.

If the Psicon.dll file (a Photoshop file) becomes corrupted, it can interfere with the installation of the Photoshop 7.0.1 update and cause an error. Renaming the Psicon.dll file disables it.

Original VersionsPhotoshop 7.0

TechNote DetailsLast Update: 01-04-2007
          ID: 322543

Permanent Link: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=322543
          Products Affected: Photoshop

Same Here

by keepmovingforward ·

Every time I try to install Photoshop, a window pops up and says ‘error code: -113’. Can someone please tell me how to fix this error.

One thing you could try …

by older mycroft ·

In reply to Same Here

You could try installing it with a CLEAN machine – close down [b]ALL[/b] other running programs by emptying out your systray of 3rd party applications.

If needs be, shutdown (or disable) your active anti-virus. In doing this it would be wise to disable internet access for the duration of the install.

If successful, immediately reboot, returning all 3rd party programs to normal operation and [b]DON’T FORGET[/b] you’ll need to re-enable your anti-virus which will still be dormant at this reboot.

Viewing 2 reply threads