General discussion

Rebooting Windows 2000 Advanced Server

By ldsibert ·
How often should I reboot Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I currently reboot once a week, is this overkill? I would like your opinions please.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Rebooting Windows 2000 Ad ...

My favorite answer: it depends!

Under what kind of stress is your server running under? It is hit by traffic 24/7, running complex processes? Is it just a file server? Are people connecting to it all the time, doing lots of different and stressful things? Does it just sit there, quietly running a single application?

The answer to your question can't be answered with a "reboot weekly" or "never reboot" answer, since each server is different. I have some Win2K servers that I don't reboot at all: web servers, DB servers. I also have some servers that if I DON'T reboot them weekly, buy about day 10 they start to freak out! So, it just depends on your machines.
If you don't reboot your server every week, how does it run the 2nd week? If it starts to act up, then it would sound like it needs a weekly refresh. If it's OK, then it probably doesn't need the weekly reboot.

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Rebooting Windows 2000 Ad ...

my nt4 sp6 box gets rebooted about twice a year due to maintenance. anything else indicates a problem that needs fixing imho windows advanced 2k server should be can be solid as a rock and i wouldn't settle for less

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)