General discussion

Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 131U2

By marcus ·
I need help on how to install Red Hat 6.0, 6.1, or even 6.2 on a RAID 5 ARRAY using and Adaptec AAA-131U2 controller card. No one has been able to help not even adaptec or Red Hat. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Mountain In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

Try a Caldera distro?

Usually SCO UW,OSR5, or Sun OS has better support/handling in RAID settings.

Collapse -

by marcus In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by joe In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

Marcus,
I have some bad news. After searching the net and going to the Linux Hardware Compatibility HOWTO, It says that Adaptec AAA 13x controller cards are not supported at this time. I would recommend subscribing to the linux-raid mailing list and asking them what alternatives you have. The HOWTO may not track current development, or a similar card's dirver may give acceptable support. Good Luck.
-joe

Collapse -

Collapse -

by covici In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

First, you have to make sure that the controller is supported by Linux. Check the hardware compatibility pages. then, you have to get someone to compile a version of the kernel Redhat is using with the support for your card in the kernel, either built in or as a module. Then, you put the kernel on your boot disk if it will fit and away you go. If you have any further questions, plrease Email me and I may be able to help you.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by andrekiepe In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

Hi,
the only hint I found is: use it as an ordinary PCI-to-SCSI Hostadapter using the standard aic7xxx linux driver. (JBOD)
RAID functionality will not work unless a driver is written.
Regards,
Andre

Collapse -

Collapse -

by OSOppressedByMS In reply to Red Hat 6.x and Adaptec 1 ...

There is no support for this card in the 2.0.x/2.2.x kernerls, so switching distributions won't help you much unless one of them's written their own driver..which I doubt. I agree with last answer in that you should use the aic7xx driver to enable you to access the drives. However, you should be able to still achieve raid-5 functionality by using software raid. Depending on how fast your system is, you can get as good, if not better performance than with hardware. You can read the HOWTO on the at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

The intstructions are pretty straightforward and easy to follow. If you MUST have hardware raid, then you need to buy a different controller that the kernel supports, prefferably NOT Adaptec cuz their Linux support sucks

Collapse -

Back to Linux Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Operating Systems Forums