General discussion

Remote Desktop Connection Client for Server 2003 MISSING from MS Website??

By kmrussell ·
Ok, am I the only one that's noticed that 'Remote Desktop Connection for Server 2003' (Remote Desktop Client 5.2.3790) is *MISSING* from Microsoft's download site now?? - And the link is broken on their Windows Server 2003 page? When you click the link ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en ) , you now get the following error message:

'The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, you might try the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page. '

I also used to simply go to the Microsoft Download site, and type in the following keywords: remote desktop 2003 .. which would bring up the Remote Desktop Connection (client) to download. The only thing available now via Microsoft.com seems to be the WEB Connection client .. which is unacceptable to me because a) You have to run a IIS webserver to host it (vulnerabilities, exploits, etc.) - b) and extra setup and an extra server to boot (and crash) - BLAH.

Have I missed something major ... or does anyone know the reason why they would just simply (and quietly without explanation) remove it from the MS website? I still have local copies that I use to install at our Remote sites .. but it really makes me wonder now what the heck is going on.

If they (MS) think they can convert us all over to their WEB (Active-X) vulnerable crap, they have another thing coming. What about all the MASSIVE spyware the leaches onto IE Browsers? How does this prove MORE realiable than the stand-alone client if a user might not even be able to OPEN their browser? Sigh - MS at their political game again.

Anyone know anything about them removing it? I've searched all over the web (Google, Yahoo, MS newsgroups, etc.) - and no one seems to have noticed - or at least said anything about this but me?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Is this what you are looking for??

by caestelle In reply to Remote Desktop Connection ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=80111f21-d48d-426e-96c2-08aa2bd23a49&DisplayLang=en

Collapse -

by kmrussell In reply to Is this what you are look ...

Thanks, but no.

That is the '5.1.2600.2180' version that is included in Windows XP SP2.

That uses the old 5.1 RDP protocol (hence the version number) as far as I know.

The newer '5.2.3790' which is distributed with Windows Server 2003 is the latest. Still not sure what has happened to it on MS's website??

Collapse -

RDC 5.2.3790 has better printing support

by blahblah In reply to

RDC 5.1.2600.2180 supports only LPT printers and shared printers. RDC 5.2.3790 also supports TCP/IP printing on client computers. That's good reason to use RDC 5.2 over 5.1.

You don't need IIS to use RD web connection 2003. Just download and install the package. Look for default.htm in the installation location, and run it. Just be aware of spywares that intercepts whatever being sent to TS server.

Collapse -

Ah .. good to know

by kmrussell In reply to RDC 5.2.3790 has better p ...

Thanks for this good reply. I did not know that about the newer 5.2.3790 client.

Also, another thing I noticed that 5.2.3790 does that the older 5.1 does NOT - it lets you use port numbers on the Computer address line (123.123.123.123:3390) for instance - if you want to change the HOSTING port on the Terminal Server/Remote Desktop Computer.

And secondly, it lets you use the '/console' switch to actually connect to the CONSOLE session on the remote computer - which can really come in handy doing remote support when you want to set exact settings that will be sure to 'stick' when you change them.

I did not know you didn't need to run a Webserver on the other end (host end). Are you certain about this? I could have sworn I read this somewhere - and it makes sense since you are accessing a host through a web page? Or does it just load the client THROUGH the web browser and connect to the standard port (3389)?

But lastly, I totally agree about the spyware issue. How can a 'web client' be more reliable than a stand-alone client - when spyware is SO prevelant nowadays. If the client end is bogged down with spyware - and can't even browse or OPEN their browser - then how could this be better?

Kevin

Collapse -

IIS is not required for RD Web Connection

by blahblah In reply to Ah .. good to know

Remote Desktop Web Connection 2003 is a client component of TS/RD architecture, it acts like standalone RDC client 2003/XP. Run "tswebsetup.exe" on a client computer, it will create a few files, one of which is "default.htm". Load "default.htm" into IE, and you will have an RDC interface. No IIS is involved.

But the web interface doesn't allow you to specify different port or console. Having said that, I still prefer the standalone RDC client 2003.

Collapse -

Ah ok .. thanks

by kmrussell In reply to IIS is not required for R ...

Thanks for this great info.

I would also think that it doesn't allow you to connect local COM (serial) ports ... Printers .. and Drives? But I could be wrong here too.

The major thing we need is printers and especially COM ports - for the Inventories we do with handheld barcode scanners. They MUST download scanned barcode data via mapped remote COM (serial) ports - and I would really bet the web client doesn't allow mapping of them like the stand-alone RDP 5.2.3790 client does.

Collapse -

IIS is not required for RD Web Connection

by blahblah In reply to Ah .. good to know

Remote Desktop Web Connection 2003 is a client component of TS/RD architecture, it acts like standalone RDC client 2003/XP. Run "tswebsetup.exe" on a client computer, it will create a few files, one of which is "default.htm". Load "default.htm" into IE, and you will have an RDC interface. No IIS is involved.

Collapse -

Sorry to reply twice - wouldn't let me edit post

by kmrussell In reply to Remote Desktop Connection ...

Sorry to reply again - but it wouldn't let me edit the post. Kept taking me to 'Page could not be found' on Techrepublic's site (NOT IE error msg .. but Techrepublic website error?).

Any rate, wanted to mention that this '5.2.3790' version uses the newer 5.2 RDP protocol ... and that XP SP2 RDP Client that you mentioned uses the 5.1 RDP protocol .. AFAIK .. because of the version number (5.1.2600.etc).

Collapse -

download

by vobelic In reply to Sorry to reply twice - wo ...

hey, could u also give me some link or a site that offers whrere to download the rdp client 5.2..version?
thanks in advanced

Collapse -

by kmrussell In reply to download

Well, I tell you what I did .. :) I have a copy of the 5.2 RDP Client from when it WAS available ... and I uploaded that to a private web directory on my website where I can download it when needed. I can send the 5.2 client to you via email, ftp, or whatever. Just send me a private message with details of where you want it. If it's via email, your email will have to accept attachments of at least 3.7 megabytes and be able to hold the full 3.7 megabytes in your email box.

Kevin

Back to Networks Forum
19 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next