General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

removing win2003 from dual boot systeam

by dr.priti7 ·

I m using xp on C: drive and win2003 on G: drive as dual boot .I want to remove win 2003 safely without affecting the xp.
    when i had inserted win xp os .,it can not get detected.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Removing linux from dual boot system

by dr.priti7 ·

In reply to removing win2003 from dual boot systeam

I want to remove linux patition .System is dual booted with XP.

Repost as ‘Q&A’

by hal 9000 ·

Try reposting this in the ‘Q&A’ forum. The ‘Discussion’ forum is for matters of general discussion, not specific problems in search of a solution. The ‘Water Cooler’ is for non-technical discussions. You can submit a question to ‘Q&A’ here:

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/questions/post?tag=mantle_skin;content

There are TR members who specifically seek out problems in need of a solution. Although there is some overlap between the forums, you’ll find more of those members in ‘Q&A’ than in ‘Discussions’ or ‘Water Cooler’.

Be sure to use the voting buttons to provide your feedback. Voting a ‘+’ does not necessarily mean that a given response contained the complete solution to your problem, but that it served to guide you toward it. This is intended to serve as an aid to those who may in the future have a problem similar to yours. If they have a ready source of reference available, perhaps won’t need to repeat questions previously asked and answered. If a post did contain the solution to your problem, you can also close the question by marking the helpful post as “The Answer”.

If I understand your question as you intend

by oh smeg ·

You have removed the Win 2003 HDD the system fails to recognize the XP Installation. Is that correct?

If it is that is because the Base Boot Files have been written to the Hardware Allocated Boot Drive which is obviously the same drive that 2003 is installed on. These are the files that are copied to the Root of the Hardware Allocated Boot Drive and give you the Menu to chose which OS to boot to when you start the system.

Without the Base Boot Files the system is incapable of starting.

The solution here is to do a Repair Install of Xp by following the directions here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Use what is described here as Method 2 to do this. You will however need a M$ Banded Install Disc as Slipstreamed Install Discs which are commonly supplied as Recovery Disc’s by most system makers do not have this option available.

Col

Viewing 2 reply threads