General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

retrieve pictures off harddrive that crashed..

by kcbmet ·

is there freeware i can use to retrieve pictures of a dell harddrive that crashed, blue screen. i have Knoppix , but am having hard time saving pictures and also recognizing picture. all i see is the Ghost backup. so i was going to attemp to copy the .GHS file .And then use Norton GHost free trial to retrieve pic.s Also i have BartPE, but it doesn’t work because i haven’t bought the software; only freeware demo. Using BartPE, i can see the pic.s i want to save . any help.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Use another computer

by mjd420nova ·

In reply to retrieve pictures off harddrive that crashed..

I’ve often had units crash and drives go flaky loading the OS, a cure I use is to install it as a second or “D” drive in a good unit, access the drive using DOS command prompt or windows explorer and move the files of to the good units drive or burn them to a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive for later recovery once I get the other system back in working order. Often a blue screen just meant the OS has an error, possibly repairable using the install CD and doing a repair.

The way that I do this is to

by hal 9000 ·

Fit the HDD to a USB Caddy and attach it to another computer where I can save the Data that I need to get off the corrupt Windows OS.

If you have a M$ Branded Install Disc of the OS you can perform a In Place Install/Repair Install by following the directions here

http://tinyurl.com/g4bv8

But there are a couple of restrictions you need to understand first. If you have enabled the [b]E[/b]ncrypted [b]F[/b]ile [b]S[/b]ystem or [b]EFS[/b] you [b]Can Not[/b] use the Repair Option as you will destroy the Encryption Key rendering all your Data Unreadable. If you have a System Makers Recovery Disc you [b]Can Not[/b] perform a Repair Install as that option isn’t included in the Recovery Set.

You should first test the HDD with the Makers Testing Utility or Seatools available from here

http://tinyurl.com/yvq99t

If you have Encrypted these Files you will need to Post Back with the Brand of Encryption Software that you have used and the OS that it is installed on.

If you have Knoppix as a Live Linux run it Mount the HDD and navigate to the Data Folder and save these files to some external Media. Of course if you have these files Encrypted they will be unreadable and expensive to recover.

Col

Try using a live Linux

by nicknielsen ·

Download and burn PCLinuxOS (http://www.pclinuxos.com/) onto a CD. Boot to the CD (do NOT install!). From the desktop, double click “My Computer” and select the local hard drive. If there is more than one partition, mount them all (this may be the problem you are having with Knoppix). If the drive itself has not failed, you should then have full access to all files on the hard drive.

Navigate to the pictures directory (“c:\documents and settings\%userid%\my documents\pictures” is the default location) and copy them to an external hard drive or burn them to CD/DVD.

If the only partition available to PCLinuxOS is the Dell recovery partition (the Ghost image), you may need to repair the partition table in the master boot record. Use your tool of choice.

This is the same as Knoppix

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Try using a live Linux

and he was having issues with that.

I think he mounted the wrong partition.

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to This is the same as Knoppix

I suspect he mounted the recovery partition and not the primary partition. He also says BartPE shows the files he’s looking for. I think he just needs to reboot into Knoppix and mount the correct partition.

I don’t remember Knoppix with a GUI, but then I haven’t updated in over 5 years!

:0 Knoppix runs KDE now? Cool! No difference from PCLOS after all. Downloaded, will burn.

Yup, these linux discs are awesome!

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to I think he mounted the wrong partition.

I have used the knoppix cd several times, but I still prefer to plug the drives into my PCLOS box 😀

There is good advice here

by w2ktechman ·

now for more advice — in the future, do not rely on your pics/data being stored exclusively on the HDD. Back them up to cd/dvd.

Recover deleted files from Windows and Mac

by xunting2011 ·

Nice to Recover Photo for Mac( http://www.recovery-iphone.com/photo-recovery-software-for-mac.html ) is the best recovery software to recover images, video and audio from Mac.Nice to Recover Photo for Mac also supports professional RAW photograph recovery for the most popular Digital SLRs, such as Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Minolta, Olympus, Kodak and so on.Or you can recover mobile Card.

This use guide ( http://www.recovery-iphone.com/how-recover-photo-from-mobile-and-camera-memory-card-on-mac.html ) may teach you recover all your value video,photo,music and other files in your Carmera Memory Card,U disk,Mobile Memory Card and apple product( iphone,ipod,ipad,Mac ).You can Recover all lost data for all kinds of products on Mac.

Recover lost data from crashed or external hard drive

by misheal ·

hi friend,
      There are many reasons why files or data gets deleted from hard drives. It may be due to Malware / Spyware / Virus attack, accidently pressing shift + delete key, Human error, damaged file system, formatted or corrupted hard drive, emptied recycling bin or abrupt shutdown of the system and various types of system failure.No need to worry there are many recovery software’s available in market which helps you to recover lost data from partitions like mac recovery software for external hard drive .This recovery software is designed to restore and recover data from corrupted, formatted, deleted or crashed hard drives.You can download the free trial version also.

Viewing 5 reply threads