General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Reverted back to Win7 on my favorite Windows laptop (photo)

by jasonhiner ·

While lots of people are upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 right now, I went the other direction. I went back to Windows 7 on my favorite Windows laptop (HP Envy 14). I hate to admit it, but it’s a breath of fresh air.

Just to be clear, this is a testing machine. But, since more TechRepublic users are running Windows 7 than any other platform right now — by far — this move just makes sense.

Here’s a photo:
    Back to Windows 7

By the way, the TechRepublic usage numbers by OS looked like this for June (if you’re interested in numbers):
    Windows 7: 38.0%
    Mac: 11.1%
    Windows XP: 8.7%
    Windows 8: 8.0%
    Linux: 3.2%

Anyone else going back to Windows 7, or are you confident that Windows 8.1 will make things better?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

I’m confident it will make things worse…

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Reverted back to Win7 on my favorite Windows laptop (photo)

Yuck

by jasonhiner ·

In reply to I’m confident it will make things worse…

In general, Microsoft has gone overboard in integrating web services into the desktop. There are aspects of it that are useful and pretty well-implemented (like SkyDrive) but Microsoft is being much too heavy-handed about it and needs to give users easier ways to opt out.

not even considering 8

by purpleskys ·

in any way, shape, or form…I’ll stick with 7 til the next one…and even then, it’ll depend on what it looks like.

Staying on Windows 7 and OSX Snow Leopard here…

by smartacew0lf ·

Not even remotely interested in 8. In times I have no choice other than to deal with it, (clients PC) I encourage them to purchase Start8. This eases the frustration some. But even Start8 could not restore the Start “MENU” on the last box I installed it on. Not sure if it was a fluke or whether MS issued a fix to render Object Desktops app useless in that regard. Either way, my displeasure with 8 has only increased the more I am exposed to it. I honestly have not been able to recognize a single advantage in any of the changes made. As such, the frustration intensifies.

I have, in the past been reticent to changes in the Windows OS. Nonetheless, with continued usage, the advantages experienced with the changes becomes apparent and I embrace it with enthusiasm. The changes made in Windows 8 have not reflected a single advantage in function or production to me. I continue to look though. I continue to think that as there are enough people whose opinions in the past have mattered to me who cite the OS’s improved features, that perhaps I am missing something. So, to me, the question persists. Why? I want the real answer, not the pretext or the whitewash.

You are right.

by tomi01 ·

In reply to Staying on Windows 7 and OSX Snow Leopard here…

To move a file from one folder to another and rename the folder through Metro “apps” requires almost 20 steps. This is not progress.

And

by tomi01 ·

In reply to You are right.

Calling programs and applications that we have used for years “apps” is only showing an approval for this nightmarish concept of the Metro interface. Let’s keep “apps” where they belong, on the side of a desktop or mainly on a tablet or mobile phone. If you drink their koolaide it will make you as sick as everyone else out there who has to support serious computer use with this stupid ridiculous OS called Windows 8.

Viewing 2 reply threads