General discussion

SBS 2003 Cannot send mail-POP3 Connector

By PC&Web ·
*Setup: Small Business Server with POP3 Connector configured for email. The POP email accounts are at RoadRunner. I am receiving email fine. I am using a dynamic IP address with an account and updater software that tracks the IP to the URL.
*Problem: When sending email I get the following errors - a System Admin NDR message that says the domain of the sender address <user>@aroa.local does not exist. And the MSExchangeTransport has this error: A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.1.8 was generated for recipient rfc822; <user>@austin.rr.com
*Question: It looks to me like RoadRunner is verifying the senders' domain. Is there a way to make this work with the dynamic DNS setup? I am not familiar with MX records but it looks like at dyndns.org (where the account is) this might be an option.
Thanks...this is important and timely...

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Omnicef In reply to SBS 2003 Cannot send mail ...

First thing that I noticed wrong is that your domain has a .local top level domain. While this works internally, it will not work on the internet. I suggest configuring your external email address as your priomaryt SMTP address on your server so when it sends out email, it will use that address and it will resolve.

Collapse -

by PC&Web In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by PC&Web In reply to SBS 2003 Cannot send mail ...

I have solved the problem and will post the reply in case others have the same issue. I guess my points will be put back in my account when I've closed it...I'll find out.

It is a simple answer once I realized it. I just had to go into each users' properties > e-mail addresses and add a SMTP address that is a valid RoadRunner address. Then set it as primary.

I rejected the answer someone posted because my setup is using a dynamic IP with a DYNDNS.ORG tracking account for a valid URL. Therefore I do not need a domain extension that is valid for the internet; it is just internal.

Collapse -

SBS 2003 Cannot send mail-POP3 Connector

by gheatly In reply to

Bravo!!!! I searched long and hard for an answer to such a common error message "XXXXXX.local #5.1.8 smtp;550 5.1.8 invalid/host-not-in-DNS return address not allowed" and the answer was EXACTLY as you provided. Went into each user, put in another FQDN email address and made it primary. I am now sending!!!

Collapse -

by PC&Web In reply to SBS 2003 Cannot send mail ...

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

Almost the same issue

by Tim.Rowberry In reply to

Im having a problem with the same thing, although all my user's primary smtp addresses are internet addresses. Im not getting any errors, all my messages being sent to the internet are just getting queued in line on my default smtp connector. any ideas?

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)