Question

SBS 2003 Problem with clien computers accessing the internet

By info ·
I have a SBS 2003 server setup with dual network cards. I have done the wizard and connected the server to the intenet. The problem is the client pc's cannot acces the internet. The server has full access, if you ping from a client it resolves the ip address of google, but gets no reply. so im sure its not a dns problem. ANy ides on resolving this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

A possible senario to think about

by jeandemo39 In reply to SBS 2003 Problem with cli ...

Do you have ISA server as well? If yes, ensure that you have ping opened up as a firewall rule. If the problem is associated with the browser only, you need to setup your browser to point to the server. Try the following in Internet Explorer:
- tools
- internet options
- connections tab
- lan settings
- select "Use proxy server for your LAN"
- put the server name in the address field and the port number would be 8080
- click "bypass proxy server for local address"
- then click OK

Let me know if it helps.

Collapse -

pre or post SP2

by CG IT In reply to SBS 2003 Problem with cli ...

need to know if this as there are multiple issues with connectivity with post SP2.

Collapse -

Had that problem too!!

by jeandemo39 In reply to pre or post SP2

Interesting!!
I had the exact same problem. I learnt that the setup of connectivity is affected post SP2. After a while, I realized that I was able to resolve almost all these problems by running the "connect to the ineternet" wizard. After this, I restored the settings of my ISA Server from backup and everything worked well. Be advised, however, that these changes may take a few minutes before they completely update on the system. Hope I have been able to help.

Collapse -

Problem Solved

by info In reply to SBS 2003 Problem with cli ...

Thanks for the info . The problem was caused by the firewall service running as it interfered with the network service. Re-did the wizard after turning off the firewall service and it fixed it

Collapse -

well might have solved the problem but cause more

by CG IT In reply to Problem Solved

if you turn off the firewall service and do not have a firewall between the SBS box and the internet. SBS 2003 Premium Edition comes with ISA server which is a firewall proxy but if your running SBS standard with a NIC connected directly to your ISP your naked and vunderable.

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums