Question

SBS 2011 - changing the domain associated with remote access etc

By kanoute696 ·
Hi All, we would like to change the domain name associated with SBS2011 - we have two domains live at the moment with the business say domain1.com and domain2.com - at the moment remote access is configured https://remote.domain1.com and we'd like to switch this to domain2.com - we would like to fully decommission domain1.com. but for the moment can domain2.com be added alongside domain1.com?.. Id like to gte it up and running first. Hope Ive put enough detail in here.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Not to be too simplistic here ...

by Rob Kuhn In reply to SBS 2011 - changing the d ...

... but that should be just a change (add) to your public DNS since it's a sub-domain.

Since you are using HTTPS make sure you have the certs in place too.

If it's an MX record and you wish to test it could be a bit tricky. If not done correctly you could be mistaken as a spammer. :)

Collapse -

SBS 2011 - changing the domain associated with remote access etc

by kanoute696 In reply to SBS 2011 - changing the d ...

HI, thank you for the reply. Its not a subdomain - they are two separate domain names of which the second one - we wouild like use as ourt remote access address etc. Once my mx records\ certs are in order - I was wondering about adding the second domain in SBS - Im not sure it will let me through the wizard without replacing the first one?.Thanks

Collapse -

Reponse To Answer

by Rob Kuhn In reply to SBS 2011 - changing the d ...

In the example URL you gave, remote is a sub-domain and you either assign an A record or CNAME to your DNS.

Example:

DOMAIN1.COM could have an A record of: remote IN A 10.0.0.10
DOMAIN2.COM would have the same A record entry.

If you were using CNAME it would be: remote in CNAME domain1.com and remote in CNAME domain2.com

For MX records, you can change the MX preference levels. Put DOMAIN2.COM at a lower MX preference than DOMAIN1.COM.

As for your certs, make sure they are generated/renewed/etc with the web server that it will be assigned to.

I also don't completely understand what you mean by "wizard". Are you referring to the generation of a cert or a Microsoft Active Directory/Domain?

Back to Software Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums