General discussion

SBS2000 UDP Port 53/3046 hourly dial-ups

By alan.strevens ·
I am running SBS 2000 with Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Exchange 2000, Norton AV Corporate 7.6, BackupExec 8.6 for SBS and SQL 2000.

We have 2 NIC's - one for the internal LAN and one connected to our router which utilises an ISDN dial-up account. Both the internal and external LAN cards are set only to use the internal DNS and names are hopefully being resolved by DNS forwarders. One thing I am unsure of is whether to specify the internal LAN within the DNS forwarders?

Reviewing our ISA logs we have an hourly dial-up to our ISP. All of our 15 Win2k workstations are switched off at night and the ISA logs record hourly UDP requests on Port 53/3046 to and from our ISP DNS Servers.

We do not have NETBIOS enabled (it is also blocked on the router). POP3 on Exchange is disabled. I have tried changing the frequency of DNS updates but this does not appear to make a difference.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by m.rijkers In reply to SBS2000 UDP Port 53/3046 ...

I'm struggling with the DNS requests also. This seems to be related to the forwarders you assigned in the DNS server. Change the SOA records in DNS to change the interval.

I'm not sure what you mean with your first question. Your DNS server resolves all internal addresses. If your DNS does not find the address, it uses its forwarders, so you do not need to specify your internal network as forwarder. (Is this what you mean?)

Tip: Be sure to disable zone transfer to servers you do not trust(that is: only specify your own servers as allowed to perform a zone transfer)

Collapse -

by m.rijkers In reply to SBS2000 UDP Port 53/3046 ...

I now found out that not assigning the DNS domain to the workstations causes the DNS server to forward all requests. So if one workstation does not have the right DNS domain name, this causes the DNS requests to the outside.

Collapse -

by alan.strevens In reply to SBS2000 UDP Port 53/3046 ...

Poster rated this answer

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums