Question

SBS2003 Exchange Backup Strategy: Will This Work?

By Erik Eckel Contributor ·
I haven't spent much time with Exchange, hence this question. Would I be able to recover a small (fifteen employees) company's e-mail messages and Outlook Contacts and Calendar information by backing up their SBS 2003 server's EXCHSRVR | MDBDATA folder?

Long story (I've installed an Iomega RevDisk as the backup media in this server but SBS2003 doesn't see it as a removable disk and therefore won't allow me to use the SBS backup with it), but rather than use SBS 2003's baked-in backup, if I used Windows Backup and simply backed up the entire MDBDATA folder would I have all the data I need to recover this company from a server failure?

I should add this backup is for offsite backup purposes, mostly (the SBS box runs with a RAID 1 mirrored disk in place - although the Exchange database resides within the Windows partition in this case).

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

quick answer is yes

by CG IT In reply to SBS2003 Exchange Backup S ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258243/en-us

to successfully restore exchange after a disaster you have to have the metabase.

the non quick answer is that users should periodically backup their stuff to PST files which are far easier to restore via import into Outlook that hoping and praying everything is there.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)