General discussion

SBS2003 migration to a new Windows 2003 Domain

By dylan.scott06 ·
Hi,
My company runs an SBS2003 SP1 box, (Windows 2000 Native) with Exch 2003 on the box. Approx 20 users (7GB total mailbox size). We have purchased x2 new Windows 2003 R2 SP2 servers and I need to migrate the users + mailboxes over to a new Domain since you cant run a new DC in a existing SBS2003 domain.
Apart from the swing method, as described in http://www.sbsmigration.com/pages/96/
is there any better way of doing this so I can preserve the AD users / security / mailboxes etc. The files and shares are not a problem to re-create nor is the local profiles of the XP clients. I was considering creating a new domain with DC, then setting up a Domain trust relationship between the domains but ive read somewhere that SBS 2003 does not allow domain trusts. Therefore does tools like ADMTv3 for the user accounts and Exmerge for the mailboxes work if there is no trust relationship between the domains?
Any information and advice much appreciated.
Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Use the swing

by bart777 In reply to SBS2003 migration to a ne ...

I've done a lot of these over the last couple of years. As long as you don't deviate from the plan you're fine. The users wouldn't even notice the difference.

The alternate method isn't as pretty and is frought with landmines.

Collapse -

SBS2003 migration to a new Windows 2003 Domain

by dylan.scott06 In reply to SBS2003 migration to a ne ...

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Have you successfully migrated from SBS2003 using the Swing method before? I would be interested in your thoughts of the process. The final outcome of this entire exercise is too have x2 new Windows 2003 Standard servers, one as a DC and the other a member server running Exchange 2003.

Collapse -

Done it too many times.

by bart777 In reply to SBS2003 migration to a ne ...

Though I was doing an SBS to SBS migration in most of them so that I didn't have to build a new domain.

The only thing you'll want to do is make darned sure that you have a good backup of the mailboxes. I would actually suggest tht you also set all of the users to use cached mode on their outlook so that you have that as an additional copy just in case you need to recover mail.

I have had issues from time to time and they have all been with SQL or exchange mail. It always seems that 1 or 2 mailboxes refuse to move and you end up importing the PST file from the old DB.

All in all I've had great luck with the swing migration. The key is to take your time and follow the steps. If you get ahead of yourself you'll be banging your head against a wall later. (Been there, done that)

Best of luck

Collapse -

Swing Migration questions

by dylan.scott06 In reply to SBS2003 migration to a ne ...

Thanks for the response Bart. Any chance you could elaborate on the Swing method, im considering purchasing the kit for $200 US, but have questions in regard to how effective this method is for x2 new servers, especially since I plan for one of the new servers to be the PDC running AD while the other server will be Exch 2003 only. Also is the downtime minimal and can you keep the existing domain name or do you create a new domain name.
Thanks for your help.
Dylan.

Back to Networks Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums