General discussion

ScanJet 3200C Scans Result In Black Box

My brother-in-law received a ScanJet 3200C from a friend. Upon downloading the driver and doing a test scan, he found that the scanner preview is a black box, regardless of what he has on the glass. We've uninstalled the software and reinstalled it with no luck. I've also checked the BIOS settings for the parallel port and none of those seem to make a difference.

I think that something in the scanner has failed, but figured I'd see if anyone has seen the issue here.

Thanks in advance!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Whoopi Cushion In reply to ScanJet 3200C Scans Resul ...

I checked at HP's website for this issue, and used their troubleshooting tree located in the support area for the ScanJet 3200. The troubleshooting tree specifically has a step in it for "Do scanned images have streaks or lines in them or appear assolid black boxes?" and the response when the answer to that question is "yes" is "contact HP technical support to correctly diagnose this problem". It might be possible to get some support on this issue via email as noted at the HP website. I am guessing that the scanner is out of warranty at this time. If the tech support folks refer you to their fee-based support for out-of-warranty products, it might be altogether less frustrating to simply replace the scanner with a new one. Good luck!

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by IT_Instructor In reply to ScanJet 3200C Scans Resul ...

The scanner calibration has failed. This is done by a circuit board in the scanner. HP may want you to send it for repair/replacement (at your $$$, the warranty is not transferable if still in effect). Some scanners are no longer serviced by HP. Sorry, but it is time to go buy a new scanner.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Hardware Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)