Question

• Creator
    Topic

Scanner of Canon MP830 does not work at all

by 3338 ·

My canon MP830 does not work at all, I think the problem was due to the scanner’s problem. The scanner/light bulb always stays at the end of right side of the scanner. The “Click” sound comes out of the gears when turning on the printer each time.
    When doing copy job, the scanner does not move at all but only makes nooise. Then the message appears at the LCD display: “Scanner not work properly” and ” Error Cole 5010″. Sometime other messages would come out, such as ” Scanner is not operating correctly”, “Release the scanner lock switch and turn the power off and back on”, “Document in ADF. Redo operation after checking document in ADF and pressing [OK]” and etc.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by 3338 ·

In reply to Scanner of Canon MP830 does not work at all

Clarifications

So the scanner is not working

by oh smeg ·

What is your question here?

Assuming that it is unlocked then if this is Under Guarantee contact Cannon or the place that you bought it from for repair/replacement.

If it’s not Under Guarantee replace the unit.

Col

Request for Clarification

by 3338 ·

In reply to So the scanner is not working

the scanner is not working as I stated above. But I was told to clean the mirror inside of the scanner. I have done for HP scanner before. It is work. But I don’t know how to open the scanner of the Canon MP830. Do you know how to open it
        Thank you.

So, did you unlock it?

by kenone ·

Turn it off and back on?

The error code 5010……..

by peconet tietokoneet ·

The error code 5010 shows when the scanner is stuck for some reason.
      If your scanner is under warranty/guarantee then take it back or return it for repair. There is nothing you can do except do it yourself but if you do the warranty will be void.

How to open the unit of scanner in MP830

by 3338 ·

The warrenty has expired. I try to fix it myself because I did HP scanner before, but I don’t know how to disassembly the unit of scanner in Canon. I have found it in a website where it tells how to disassembly the scanner but I don’t locate it again. Do someone know how to disassembly?

Error Code 5010 and sucessful repair

by goodi ·

error code 5010 means scanner unit does not find home position or warm up doesn’t work properly.
      My scaner lamp didn’t work at all, so I bought the manual stated in the above tradebit link to open the device without destroying it (it’s 12 Dollars ;-)), took off the scanner cover, readjusted the scanner unit, fixed the lamp contacts, tested and it worked. The whole thing was done in 1,5 hours including reassembly – so this is my recommendation. Good luck – goodi

Reponse To Answer

by orerockon ·

In reply to Error Code 5010 and sucessful repair

How did you get the scanner apart? I downloaded the manual and it says nothing about opening the scanner, only removing it. I unscrewed the 4 screws at the back of the scanner cover but all I can do is pry the cover up a little, I can’t see any way to actually remove the cover so I can access the inside of the scanner glass. I need to clean the inside of the glass which has several smudges and paper fibers that interfere with scanning photos.

Reponse To Answer

by fcmh ·

In reply to Error Code 5010 and sucessful repair

I purchased the manuals online per the above link for $9.95. Spent the time to open the unit and referred to the manual for help. Nothing. Doesn’t show me how to readjust the scanner unit or fix the lamp contacts. I am at a loss of what to do with the unit open now. Do you mind sharing it with me how you do the above? If I manually slide the scanner to the right, the light goes on, but the scanner does not return to the home position. I have only done this once as I don’t want to misalign the scanner as one of the posts said could occur.

How to open scanner of Canon MP830

by 3338 ·

Hi goodi,
      How did you open the scanner of MP830 when you fix the lamps.
      I have tried many time to see how to take off the cover of scanner.
      Please tell me how to open it.
      Thank you very much

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to How to open scanner of Canon MP830

You undo the plastic clips and separate the top from the bottom.

The trick of course is not to mark or break anything when you are doing this. 😉

Col

Reponse To Answer

by 1printeruser ·

In reply to How to open scanner of Canon MP830

To open the scanner unit,
        1) Detach the ADF from the top of the scanner
        2) remove the four screws at the top rear of the scanner unit
        3) remove the left and right control panel covers. There are six snaps (3 top and 3 bottom) on each one. See the MP830 Service Manual (google it, I found a pdf for free) for photo illustrated directions. I started at the bottom, once that was free I pulled gently and the top snapped out relatively easily.
        4) remove the four screws holding the control panel unit and pull the control panel out part way.
        5) remove the two screws under the control panel unit.
        6) with a small flat screwdriver gently pry the top half of the scanner housing up, go around the edge and when you come to a tab try to push it in.
        Now you can clean the glass.
        BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO DISTURB THE SCANNER UNIT ITSELF – DON’T PUSH IT BACK OR FORTH ON THE RAIL OR IT WILL LOSE ALIGNMENT. I goofed mine up and am still looking for a solution.

Viewing 6 reply threads