General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Sense of humour – are there those that lack it?

by neilb@uk ·

This is a serious question aimed at adults.

Following the thread started by Gadget that informed us of the new “Spam Killer” button, I posted a (very obviously) spoof “Ethiopian with money” thread. I did think that using my own login name might – just – give the game away.

Of course, it went the way of all such threads with The Usual Suspects chipping in with some appropriate responses. When I left work for an evening out, it was at about thirty posts and had taken on the life of its own that characterises a good “Miscellaneous” thread. I left it at the point that Maxwell posted some Beatles lyrics and was interested on my return in seeing where it had traveled without me…

Ok, so a couple of [b]my[/b] posts were a little risque but they were, in my opinion, aimed pretty directly. They were aimed at someone who very recently started a suggestive thread of his own and chided those peers who chose not to take his comments in the manner that he believed that they should. They were also aimed at someone who I thought would see the joke. They were FUNNY.

My question is: “Why was the thread pulled?”. Maybe, I have to ask “Where did the thread move on to that warranted it being pulled?” as it is a possibility that it went somewhere way beyond where I left it.

Even so, itt was only a bit of fun. I’m just asking. The thread was pulled and yet it so wasn’t spam. So – what was it? It is, you know, only words on a screen. No one is hurt. no one dies. Are there boundaries that we shouldn’t cross here? Are there moral and societal taboos that we cannot poke a stick into, here? Ok, if there are, then lets have a list and if I don’t like it I’ll push off elsewhere.

Neil 🙁

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

It looks as if it has been pulled.

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Sense of humour – are there those that lack it?

Someone probably read the first few sentances, and wanted to test the new spam button (to keep JD from being the first).

Anyway, it was quite funny, I agree. When I first started reading it I thought that you were posting something that someone had sent to you, but then I caught on.
      twas a good thread in my opinion, and GG sounded like she was really enjoying it as well.
      Too bad, maybe there is no room for the BS threads anymore……..

Insult to confused injury

by jdclyde ·

is the fact that I have no idea what your talking about, and missed the whole dang party. 🙁

We HAVE had hacker requests that stayed up for weeks, yet a humor piece gets pulled before I even see it?

Is there a new sheriff in town, with an attitude?

odd

by jaqui ·

I just got back and hadn’t even noticed it missing before reading this one, I last saw it at about the same state as you neil.

I thought your pointed jabs a people were maybe a bit to direct, butunless those so jabbed complained I doubt that those posts caused the dissapearance of the thread.

ahh, hold it, sending underaged daughters to someone… that could be read as promoting pedophilia. could be why in that one post.
      [ I realy doubt you would do anything like that, but the comment can be read that way ]

I never saw it

by tig2 ·

But recall the incredibly poor taste of the original. Neil- I can see how you put that whole game in a humourous new light.

It would be my personal guess that the “rose of Australia” who has no problem with posting his own brand of BS, likely took offence. To this I say, “Good”. But bad that a humour thread was pulled because of his puerile disposition.

Back in the good old days, a Misc thread had to contain some pretty serious doo-doo to get pulled. This incident makes me wonder if my odd (shhh) Breast Cancer Awareness threads are likely to suffer the same fate.

Or did the Rose of Australia become the PTB when we weren’t looking???

We was robbed!

by maxwell edison ·

I must admit, I didn’t read the whole thread, but it was really pulled? Why?

My guess is this. Somebody took it as serious, and really thought you were asking for money. And perhaps the TR person who first saw it, didn’t recognize the OBVIOUS satire. (They probably don’t like [i]Saturday Night Live[/i] either!)

I hate when that happens

by nicknielsen ·

A good thread gets started, then pulled, while I’m somewhere between Myrtle Beach and the rest of the world.

I’ll probably be iced in in the morning; maybe I’ll even have power! Start it again, Niel.

I missed the thread….

by onbliss ·

… your thread, but did read the “original” thread. I am not a regular visitor to TR these days. My unsolicited comments are hence general to the subject of humor and sentiments, and not related to what is admissible or not at TR, and [b]nor related to your thread[/b].

Your title seems to suggest that there can be only two sets of people: one with a sense of humor and one without. My opinion is that it is lot more complicated: timing of the joke, sensitivity, culture, personal animosity, frame of mind – are some of the factors, that I can think right now, that will impact how the humor is taken.

To many the cartoons of Mohammed were funny, and to others it was blasphemous. It is so said the pen is mightier than the sword. Words convey thoughts, and be it on the screen or on paper, they can hurt.

The person making the joke, sometimes, misses the angle from which the “target person” views or perceives the joke.

The onus rests on the shoulders of the comedian 🙂 Sometimes the humor backfires, and the comedian with a sense of humor would probably consider it as part of the game [this remark directed at you :-)]

:( :( :(

by steffi28 ·

I was looking forward to reading the rest of that thread today to see where it had gone when I went home. As far as I seen there was definitely nothing there for it to get pulled. Unless of course someone reported it as spam and it wasnt read properly by TR??

Shoe on other foot?

by gadgetgirl ·

Babz, the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread had been pulled was:

[i] The PTB [b] do [/b] have a sense of humour! [/i]

They saw it for what it was – a mock test of the spam killer button. Someone obviously hit the button, and the PTB played along with the game.

And pulled the thread, as requested.

Now, I agree with you that pulling that thread was a damn shame, because one of your posts in there, IMHO, was an absolute classic. A distinct 3-pack of wipes special. (or so my monitor and keyboard tell me…..)

But Mae has already posted that she has a hard copy, so you are still preserved for posterity, babz!

Yes, it was only a bit of fun – but don’t you think you have misconstrued the pulling of the thread for spam/inappropriate reasons, rather than for the show of humour from the PTB?

It would be interesting to learn, however, who actually pushed the button (DE)

And no, it wasn’t me. I did test it on your thread, but as it asked if I was sure, as the operation couldn’t be undone, I didn’t. Jd missed the thread in its’ entirety, so it wasn’t him adding another first to his list. ( 🙂 ) There is a culprit out there, but I doubt we’ll ever find out who.

And Neil, love, don’t forget – you can always start another one! (let me know – I need to order a new monitor shield…! :p )

GG

Edit: scrambled macros for brekkie again….

That’s why I asked

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Shoe on other foot?

I was a bit miffed last night as the thread was going nicely when I finished for the day and, as I was going over to see some friends, I wasn’t planning to see what else had been added until late on and that’s when I found the thread gone.

My thread-starter was a bit grumpy, I admit, and I posted it after a couple of beers but I still want to know who and why. If you’re right and TRPTB went along with the joke then no harm done. If it was pulled because it went a bit OTT then that’s OK, too, although there has been worse. If it got pulled because a certain Aussie objected then that isn’t OK although I would reckon that NOT to be the case. at least, I hope so.

Understood

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to That’s why I asked

but considering the time difference, would the Certain Aussie even have seen it?

(don’t go for the jugular, I don’t memorise the area in which people live, and you know how chronologically challenged I get on this board!)

Why not pm Smorty to clarify?

And why not start another “Ethiopian” thread – I was thoroughly enjoying the last one!

😡

GG

Well, to be honest….

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to Understood

I’m not too bothered. And of course I wouldn’t go for your jugular; with my back problems I couldn’t bend down that far… :p

What I said is that I don’t think it was Jules (or at least I hope not) even though he was obviously the target and if it was, I’m quite happy for him to pm me and say so and, in fact, I’d probably apologise as I used his name and I didn’t really mean to make it that obvious and for that, I’m sorry.

I think I’ll let it go. I just had a nice chunk of free time yesterday and started the thread and I just don’t have the time today with more bits flaking off my world!

See you later, babe 😡

We’ll have another “Ethiopian” thread maybe tomorrow…

a lot of stuff disappears

by shellbot ·

i’m starting to think that if they feel they have to police the Off Topic so much, maybe they should just get rid of it.

so many times i’ve gone to look at a thread that i KNOW was there in the morning, only to find it gone.

Maybe here’s a solution, make the Off Topic a seperate sign up with 10 pages of discalimers to sign off on. Then anyone who gets thier feelings hurt can just p1ss off. If they’ve signed up to it knowing full well they may get flamed, see a dirty word, read a crude joke, or be subjected to some pretty heavy innuendo (for the Scrubs fans..”inyourenndo” ), then thev’e nothing to cry about.

Whiney A@@ Titty Babies.

Its a shame that a bit of fun, or honest and open thought exchange has to be censored.

And now to continue with the rest of my already sh1tty day.

The next thing to disappear

by jdclyde ·

In reply to a lot of stuff disappears

if they take away the watercooler, would be me.

I’ve had stuff disappear that wasn’t off topic though

by danlm ·

In reply to a lot of stuff disappears

Example, I place something in the question area. It’s not responded too, and it roll’s off the hot list or what ever it is. I then do the expand for the 90 days and I still don’t see it.

I mean, I understand that people might not see my question. But, if I post a question. 99 percent of the time it is on topic, ie… technical.

Eh, that or I have jazzed up my profile settings that I am just not seeing everything.

Could be that also.

Dan

Okay, if you MUST know

by maecuff ·

I was horribly offended by you making fun of my swim fins..errr..large feet. So I complained and insisted they remove the entire thread.

Or not. Too bad it’s gone, I was having fun.

BigFoot alert

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Okay, if you MUST know

So when you go hiking, people think that they have BigFoot tracks huh?
        🙂

You say hello and they say goodbye

by maxwell edison ·

You say yes, they say no
      They say stop and you say go, go, go
      Oh, no
      They say goodbye and you say hello
      Hello, hello
      I don’t know why they said goodbye
      You said hello
      Hello, hello
      You said hello

I say high, you say low
      You say why, and I say I don’t know
      Oh, no
      They said goodbye and you said hello
      Hello, hello
      You said hello
      Hello, hello
      You said hello

Why, why, why, why, why, why
      Did they say goodbye
      Goodbye, bye, bye, bye, bye

WHY

by dontknowwhatimdoing ·

In reply to You say hello and they say goodbye

Why did you do that? Now I’ve got that song stuck in my head!!! I have very limited capacity and you have just used it all up. 😀

Whats worse….

by jamesrl ·

In reply to WHY

is that he mashed up the words to fit the context of the thread and it doesn’t scan…

James

If the “Autralian Rose’s” thread was bad….

by dmambo ·

Just wait until 30 or 40 of you people post the “Myself and GG have met” threads after your meet and greet. I can only imagine how graphic those babies are going to be!! ]:)

Getting to know GG and getting to “know” GG will be be just as famous a catch phrase as in the flesh and “in the flesh”.

I’m admitting NOTHING here

by beth blakely ·

But, theoretically, if someone had marked that thread as spam… and theoretically, if it was spoofed well enough that it looked exactly like spam… and IF the followup responses looked like they were people making fun of the spammer… then it MIGHT have been deleted because I thought it was actual spam at the end of a long, hard day of fighting SPAMMERS. But IF I did it–and I’m not saying I did–I did it for YOU!!!!

roflmao, How about I buy you a coffee Beth…. would that help?

by danlm ·

In reply to I’m admitting NOTHING here

lol

dan

The Tune You’re Singing

by maxwell edison ·

It’s been a hard day’s night
        And I am pleading like a lamb
        I have been fighting all this spam

So what I’m saying to you
        Is that the things that I do
        Will make you feel all right

You know I work all day
        Not to get money to buy me things
        But only just so I can hear you all say
        That I’ve given you everything

So why on earth should I moan
        ’cause if I only had known
        You wouldn’t feel this way

When I’m home
        everything seems to be all right
        when I’m home
        Knowing that I’m your white knight

Yeah, it’s been a hard day’s night
        And I am pleading like a lamb
        I have been fighting all this spam

So what I’m saying to you
        Is that the things that I do
        Will make you feel all right

Ah ha!

by neilb@uk ·

If you did pull it (and of course I’m not saying you did) because it looked, smelled and sizzled like spam then that’s OK because that’s why I did it in the first place. It was only that everyone spotted it was me (was it the name that gave it away?) and that it had gone to 30 posts before I could blink and I didn’t see the end of it…

But the [spam] button works and we thank you for it 😡 😀

I’m sorry to hear that

by av . ·

I remember the thread, but I just thought it was lost somewhere on TR. I read some of it and can’t see why anyone would request it to be pulled. At least TR should tell you if they pulled it and why. I’d like to know too.

When a discussion is pulled

by jdclyde ·

The old links should point to a page SAYING it was pulled for violating TR policy instead of just leaving a void.

After all, how do we know it isn’t just another “feature”? :0

Viewing 15 reply threads