Question

• Creator
    Topic

Server 2003: Converting Basic to Dynamic Disc

by tbillz ·

Hello. I maintain a Windows 2003 Server for my employer and have run into a problem I’m hoping someone here can help me with. The physical hard drive is currently partitioned into 2 partitions. The first is a 39 mb recovery partition for Dell diagnostic software. The second is the system and boot partition, drive C:. The rest of the space on the drive physically following drive C: is unallocated. We are running out of space, and I would like to allocate more space to the second partition, drive C:.

Is my best course of action to convert the physical drive from basic to dynamic and then extend the C: drive into the unallocated space? I read that pagefile.sys must be moved to either another partition or physical drive before a disc can be converted from basic to dynamic. Is this true?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by tbillz ·

In reply to Server 2003: Converting Basic to Dynamic Disc

Clarifications

I would just use a Partition Tool

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Server 2003: Converting Basic to Dynamic Disc

Like Partition Magic or G Parted to resize the C Partition.

But then again I’m lazy and don’t do any more work than I absolutely have to. 😉

Though no matter what you end up doing make sure that you have a complete Backup of the current system just in case something goes wrong. It’s far easier to recover from a backup than rebuilding the system.

Col

Viewing 1 reply thread