General discussion

Server 2003 into a Server 2000 Domain

By jhauser ·
I'm trying to integrater Server 2003 into my server 2003 domain. I've promoted the 2003 box to a DC. I've ran adprep /forestprep - adprep /domainprep. I've also used the ntdsutil to seize all settings (?) Now if i try and add users to the server 2003 box it won't let the user login & if i add a user to the 2000 box it says it cannot validate uniqueness with global catalog server

I am not using Exchange on the server 2000 box.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jhauser In reply to Server 2003 into a Server ...

trying to integrate a server 2003 box into my server 2000 domain - **sorry**

Collapse -

by TechKid In reply to Server 2003 into a Server ...

You're not supposed to use ntdsutil to seize roles. Only if your 2000 server had died and you weren't going to bring it back online should you have seized roles. The proper way is to transfer the roles using the MMC's.

I'm not saying for sure that this is the problem but thought you should know.

Are you sure you didn't promote the domain to a "windows 2003 forest"?

Collapse -

by jhauser In reply to

i'm not really sure of anything - This has me completely buffaloed... See initially another party (sales agent)logged in w/o my permission to finish setting up this server (had pw and login from previous sysadmin) and they ran all the commands from their location. Unfortuantaly i get stuck with the end result -

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Server 2003 into a Server ...

Welp you might try dcpromo demote the W2003 server to a member server and then off the network to get all roles back onto the W2K DC. The way it's supposed to work is that if you DC promo demote all DC's the last DC on the network gets all the roles else Active Directory goes kaput.

Next time just add the server in as a member server, then dcpromo promote to a DC. In the same domain it's a peer to the W2K DC and you can "add" [not seize]the global catalog server role. Operations and Schema stay with the W2K box. 1st server at the root of the domain gets those roles.

Collapse -

by ashuar_jameel In reply to Server 2003 into a Server ...

Hi
Firstly there is no need of running ?adprep /forestprep - adprep /domainprep ?promoting a 2003 server system to windows server 2003 domain controller.
1)Try one thing just make sure that if u are having windows 2000 computers than your forest functional level should be raised to ?windows 2000 native?.
2) if the user is trying to logon to the domain controller than go in control panel admin toolsDomain Controller security policieslocal security setting user rights Allow logon locally and add the user and permit him .

3)if the user is trying to logon on the domain than check the control panel admin toolsDomain security policies and check weather the user is allowed or not

Thanks

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)