Question

Server continually restart at 0440 (4:40 am) every morning

By jonathon.johnson ·
Every morning, one of my backup servers shutdowns (assuming BSOD) and restarts. When I log in that morning, it'll say (after login) "System restarted after stop error: .....". If I report it to microsoft, it'll say its a blue screen due to driver error. I've checked all the drivers already. They're the same version and drivers as another server of the same type.

I've check the event logs everytime, and it's a consistant thing. Sometime around 0436 and 0444 every morning, it mysteriously restarts. There's no scheduled tasks at that time, no major network events at that time, no labor on the server at that time, and nothing I can think of is working.

It's a intermediate (right word?) problem. It doesn't always restart, just some of the time. Usually about 3-6 times a week. Any suggestions?

Here's the log of the event from today:

3/9/2009 7:12:44 AM USER32 Warning None 1076 <server>\<admin name> <server> The reason supplied by user <server>\<admin name> for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: System Failure: Stop error
Reason Code: 0x805000f
Bug ID:
Bugcheck String: 0x000000c2 (0x00000044, 0x00002000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)
Comment: 0x000000c2 (0x00000044, 0x00002000, 0x80000000, 0x00000000)"

From clicking on the link in the event viewer, it says it's a driver error. But as I said, they're all up to date, and the same versions as another 2 servers like it and those other 2 are not doing this.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Do you have any scheduled events

by risques In reply to Server continually restar ...

set for around that time, I have seen issues with.

1. Windows update - If I recall it is set to update around 3am by default.

2. Anti-Virus. Occasionally an update interacts with another similar update.

3. Email - scheduled send and receive at the same time as a backup.

4. a backup routine set with incorrect / faulty / parameters.

5. AutoRestart Element (ASSL) set with trace active.

Collapse -

None to my knowledge

by jonathon.johnson In reply to Do you have any scheduled ...

1. Windows Update - this is turned off. We get our updates pushed to us via WSUS from higher.

2. Anti-Virus - It appears there is a scan everyday at 0400, but from the history, it doesn't show any actually completeing since Descember 31st...odd. I'm going to try changing the time on that scan to a time I'm here and see what happens.

3. Email - Server unable to email anything. Wish I knew how and I'd set it to email my phone...scary thought if it gets stuck though.

4. Backup's - All scheduled backups to this server have completed successfully, though now that you mention it, I notice SQL Server Agent is stopped showing a logon fail. May be attributed to me changing all the admin passwords on friday. But that's an internal issue we can figure out.

5. AutoRestart - Not sure even what that is honestly, but we never autorestart any servers.

I've tried running Windows update as well to ensure all the drivers were up to date, but that didn't give me any good results either.

Collapse -

No errors with Virus scan

by jonathon.johnson In reply to None to my knowledge

Ran the virus scan twice, and it didn't shut down on me.

Collapse -

Crazy thought but...

by cmiller5400 In reply to Server continually restar ...

I had a server that would just power off for no reason. For weeks we looked for an answer. Then for some reason I was in the computer room when the UPS it was attached to did a self test. Guess what? The server powered off hard. Swapped out the UPS and it was fine.

Look at environmental as well. Is the power being interrupted? Cleaner turning on a vacuum on the same line? (it shouldn't be but you never know...)

Collapse -

Well...

by jonathon.johnson In reply to Crazy thought but...

Unfortunately, I can't be here at 4am to check to see if it does a self test, but throughtout the day while I'm in my office, I hear and see both of them do self tests and none of the servers so much as quiver then...

Collapse -

Sometimes...

by cmiller5400 In reply to Well...

To solve a nasty one requires early mornings. Just ask Colin (HAL9000, OH Smeg) about the alarm going off at a building.

Collapse -

Not where I work

by jonathon.johnson In reply to Sometimes...

I work on a military post. There's no one at this building until 6am everyday...no one. And they aren't going to give me the keys, and I'm more than will to bet it all that my bosses aren't going to be here that early either lol.

Collapse -

UPS?

by jhudmon In reply to Server continually restar ...

Is it connected to a UPS? If you have Network-Shutdown on, you may want to check to see if it's sending a shutdown request to that server. I'm going to stick around to see what the final explanation of this problem is. Please post fix if you find one :D.

Collapse -

Negative

by jonathon.johnson In reply to UPS?

No UPS settings have been configured yet. This site has been in place for some time, but previous admins here haven't had the knowledge or know-how to setup a "datacenter". We've got 6 servers, all of which are on various UPS's. But as I said, they were never configured. As a matter of fact, the UPS's console cables were still in sealed bags. I just started working on them, but this issue has been going on for a few months prior to me doing anything with the UPS.

Collapse -

Hopefully it'll GET fixed.

by jonathon.johnson In reply to UPS?

I will post a fix soon as I have one. So far, there's nothing leading me to any more info than I had before....but I'm sure it will come soon.

Back to Networks Forum
20 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums