General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Service Management Frameworks?

by fiona.burke ·

Im new to this area (hoping to do a thesis with regard to service management) and im wondering is ITIL ‘the’ service management framework or are there others out there? ive briefly read something about MOF, thinking it was another framework, but then i was told its an extension of ITIL. Hope somebody might be able to clarify this for me
    Thanks

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Service Management Frameworks?

by cowan.jj ·

In reply to Service Management Frameworks?

Fiona,
      Hope this doesn’t sound like teaching grandmother to suck eggs but have you tried http://www.itil.co.uk/index.htm. I can’t find a framework MOF, perhaps you’re referring to MoR?
      JC

ITIL

by vawns ·

Hi Fiona,

ITIL is one of the most widely accepted approach to IT service management in the world; it is a framework so rather than being perscriptive, it can other frameworks such as MOF or CoBIT. If you want to learn more about it check out this link:

http://www.itil.co.uk/

Hope this helps,

Vawns

The best place to start learning about ITIL

by twohills ·

In reply to ITIL

…is Wikipedia. http://www.itil.co.uk is dense and hard to navigate (otherwise why would you buy the books 😉 )

ITSMF

by vawns ·

You could also have a look at the ITSMF as they are a Service Management user group:

http://www.itsmf.com/index.asp

MOF vs ITIL

by duca ·

MOF is Microsoft Operation Framework. Microsoft is pushing it’s way of ITIL, just like HP and others. That is reasoneble because ITIL is just the way of thinking, not the way of acting. ITIL is the core of all the successfull IT management philosophy. MOF is just the “way the Microsoft see ITIL”. Try to understand the ITIL, because you can recognize all the frameworks in it(il).
      Cheers,

D.

HP push ITIL. IBM push ITIL. Microsoft push MOF.

by twohills ·

In reply to MOF vs ITIL

I beg to differ: HP push ITIL. IBM push ITIL. CA push ITIL. BMC push ITIL. Microsoft push MOF.

There have been discussions around getting MOF back aligned to ITIL and rumours of it happening but right now MS have their own version, just like LDAP and SQL and …

Do we have to do ITIL to do Service Management?

by twohills ·

This from The IT Skeptic (I have permission). I only copied the text. Go to the blog if you want to follow all the underlying links.

Do we have to do ITIL to do Service Management? Of course not. To look and listen around the IT industry these days one would think so, but there is actually more than one game in town.

First there are variants.

MOF from Microsoft is of course focused on their own Windows environment. It is a little different to ITIL (how unusual that Microsoft should create their own, slightly incompatible, version of a standard). Talk is that future versions will ?return to the fold?.
      ?Implementing Service and Support Management Processes: A Practical Guide?, Higday-Kalmanowitz and Simpson Ed., HDI, 2005 from the Help Desk institute is, not surprisingly, a callcentre slant on ITIL. If you look around it can be downloaded for free by registering with some vendors 😉
      If you just want to assess your capability, i.e. measure/benchmark your business, then there are several better alternatives. ?Better? because there is no agreed standard for measuring ITIL: every consulting firm, including the OGC itself, use a different methodology to get different answers. ITIL is about defining ?how? not ?how well?.

ISO20000 (and its ancestor BS15000). Despite some impressions given to the contrary, these are not 100% the same as ITIL. There are major extensions to ITIL and some differences. But it is the closest thing to an ?ITIL assessment standard?.
      COBIT (or the lighter COBIT Quickstart) is very comprehensive and widely embraced, especially for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance audit.
      The IT Service Capability Maturity Model uses the CMM maturity measurement model. It seems to be a very good model but has had little uptake since its release in January 2005.
      For Very Small Enterprise (VSE) look at NOEMI
      ?and other new approaches are emerging all the time. This is still a maturing area.

If you are looking for something simpler than ITIL, then there are several options:

Check out the much anticipated ?ITIL Lite?: ITIL Small-scale Implementation, Office of Government Commerce, The Stationery Office Books, 2006. it looks useful but the proof is not in. The 1998 version (IT Infrastructure Library practices in Small IT Units, Office of Government Commerce, The Stationery Office 1998) seemed to me to be good but it got very little attention; it remains to be seen how this one goes or what the results will be. (BTW, what a great name the old book had: “ITIL in SITU” – how could they not reuse that?).
      FITS does not get near the attention it deserves. Developed for UK schools, it is a nice simplification of ITIL
      Core Practice (CoPr or ?copper?) is an interesting new development that bears watching. The premise is that we have a fixation with Best Practice. It should be limited to areas where there is a business case for it, and in other areas there should be no shame in just do the minimum necessary.
      So don’t get swept away on a tide of ITIL. Take a look at what best suits your business. ITIL is very good at what it does. It may be the right thing for you. Or not.

What one for this industry?

by fiona.burke ·

In reply to Do we have to do ITIL to do Service Management?

Thanks for that info it was very helpful. Can i ask you do you know what one telecommunications organisations usually go for?

BT / Yell

by vawns ·

In reply to What one for this industry?

Hi Fiona,

From my experience it’s ITIL.

vawns

The telecoms industry has eTOM

by twohills ·

The telecoms industry has eTOM (Google it), which is mostly complementary to ITIL but with some overlaps. The last couple of years has seen much exploration of how the two best work together (Google “eTOM ITIL”)but I think it is still an evolving area.

ITIL is philosophy

by duca ·

ITIL is not the way of acting, but the way of thinking. You should read the ITIL essentials and understand the philosophy and then you should try to implement the way of thinking in your organizations. The problem with trying to apply ITIL is that it is merely a framework for best practice ? it does not provide specific instructions. Therefore your role is to do an adaptation of your workarounds to a ITIL framework way. It is not an easy process, but it actually works. If you need documentation, dont hestiate to contact me.

Cheers,

Dusko.

ITIL is both thinking and acting

by twohills ·

In reply to ITIL is philosophy

I think it is both thinking and acting: this is another take on People/Process/Product. Yes it is as important to get the mindset or culture right as it is to define the processes.

But ITIL very clearly defines the actions as wellas the attitudes. People say ITIL is not prescriptive or does not provide specific instructions and I wonder if we are reading the same books. The red and blue books are pretty danged specific. This role has these responsibilities. This process follows this flowchart. These are the KPIs. Throw in all the complementary books such as the new Metrics one and I wonder what else it is that people want documented.

Documentation for thesis would be great

by fiona.burke ·

In reply to ITIL is philosophy

thanks Dusko. Any documentation that you may think is relevant would be great. Basically my thesis is about how frameworks, philosophies and best practices work for organisation but also how they dont and that organisation may often only implement them because everyone else is and not because they actually need to change theirs. my email is fiona.burke@gmail.com

A Concise ITIL Guide for Busy Executives

by thejendra1 ·

PRACTICAL IT SERVICE MANAGEMENT

Some self promotion by a techie author:-)

Visit my web cave http://www.thejendra.com to buy this popular book used by several organizations worldwide to understand how to successfully implement ITIL.

Viewing 5 reply threads