General discussion

SharePoint 2007 vs SharePoint 2010

By addicted2speed ·
We are currently in an interesting time. Having diverged from the upgrade timeline for SharePoint 2003 Server and 2007 Server, we currently have a heterogeneous SharePoint environment with WSS 3.0 hosting 95% of our content (documents and list data). A small 2007 environment exists, but there is really nothing of serious consequence there.

Now the kicker... SharePoint 2010 Beta was released last week.

Do we migrate to 2007?... knowing that a few years down the line we will probably want to migrate to 2010?

Do we go directly to SharePoint 2010 Beta, knowing that officially it is only a Beta?

Architecturally, are they are different enough that a simple "upgrade" from 2007 to 2010 a few years down the road will result in a less-than-ideal deployment?

What do you think?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I would never go to a beta in a production environment.

by CharlieSpencer In reply to SharePoint 2007 vs ShareP ...

You probably won't be able to upgrade directly to 2010 anyway. You may have to upgrade to 2007 first.

Collapse -

Some Say...

by addicted2speed In reply to I would never go to a bet ...

Normally I would totally agree with you - deploying a Beta application to production would be out of the question.

However, we have been told by many consultants that going from 2007 to 2010 is not really a direct upgrade either... and that the 2010 Beta is stable enough that it could easily be a "production" version.

There are also many companies larger than us who are moving forward with 2010 Beta, and some who are already using it in production.

We know that ultimately we want to be on 2010... the only questions are how many steps do we take to get there, how long will it take, and how much money it will cost.

Collapse -

Re : SharePoint 2007 vs SharePoint 2010

by girijai In reply to SharePoint 2007 vs ShareP ...

Hi There,

My recommendation is do not upgrade because its still in Beta Stages - we have yet RC1 then RC2 and then RTM - that means there are bugs in it and not advisable as of now.

Lets take an example; you upgrade your existing customers Site from 2007 to 2010 - what happens? Site looks good, people are working etc POOF! Error checking out a document, customer will request to fix it, but you cannot since its still in Beta, cannot be fixed because you have to wait till next year, cannot get support since its in Beta - whereas in 2007 its all tested and fixed.

Collapse -

Wait till SP2010 RTM

by pm4345 In reply to SharePoint 2007 vs ShareP ...

It depends on what your reason is for upgrading. What functionality are you seeking that you currently do not have.

MS has made it clear that they will not support Prod environments running SP2010 beta. If you are going to upgrade, then wait till SP2010 RTM and then spend resources on that.

Upgrading simply for the sake of upgrading is never wise.

Collapse -

SharePoint 2010 - the hype

by LisaMacGregor In reply to Wait till SP2010 RTM

There has been a lot of hype about SharePoint 2010 and it won't be released until the end of Quarter 2.

In my opinion, there is still a lot of life left in SharePoint 2007 and I won't be rushing just yet to 2010.

There will be several upgrade paths available from MOSS 2007 to 2010 - but the important concept is that the underlying architecture has not changed significantly making upgrading to SharePoint 2010 a lot easier, when you choose to do it.

Collapse -

Comparision between SharePoint 2007 and 2010

by jackschack In reply to SharePoint 2007 vs ShareP ...

I think the key thing is to see if the features you need are available in SharePoint 2010. If so its better to wait than deploy 2007 and customize.
I have a post that talks of some of the differences http://jacksonc.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/moss-2007-vs-sharepoint-2010/

Back to Networks Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums