General discussion

Site for Windows 2000 Prof

By ogruizr ·
I have a Domain Windows 2000 with one Site. Now I have to install five windows 2000 professional computers. They are connected to my network by a WAN link. Do I have to create another site for those computers?? or I include them in my only one site

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to Site for Windows 2000 Pro ...

As long as they can talk to the/a DC for that site, you can join them to that domain.

I would reccomend placing a DC that is local to their lan. Unless you have a nice size point to point pipe that will not have any traffic impedence.

As far as the same site issue, that is your choice. Obviosly if you create another site, you need a aditional DC to create the site and join it to the forest.

It is all up to you if you want to keep those systems seperated.

Collapse -

by ogruizr In reply to Site for Windows 2000 Pro ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

WAN link is slow but it's very expensive install a DC in the LAN

Collapse -

by bgelety In reply to Site for Windows 2000 Pro ...

Since you only have a single domain controller which will be part of the default-first-site any additional subnets or locations added will automatically be part of that default-first-site unless another site/subnet is specifically created in Sites and Services and defined with its own domain controller. So in your case you should be ok.

Just make sure your machines on the other end of the WAN are pointing to the AD DNS that the domain controller is using so it is properly able to locate thedomain resources across the WAN.

The advantage of a domain controller located near the new machines is having control over the bandwidth consumed by domain communications via replication intervals. By not having a controller there the machines will communicate across the WAN to the single DC as needed.

Hope that helps....

Collapse -

Collapse -

by Bobby Gillette In reply to Site for Windows 2000 Pro ...

Personally I'd have a DC on your remote segment in the event your WAN link goes down. Keep in mind should this occur, your remote workstations will be unable to login since no DC is available to them. Also, you may want to consider housing any shared resources (printers, files, etc) on your remote segment so that users can still function even though they aren't connected to the main site.

Good luck...

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)