General discussion

Slow data access (NW4.11)

By chris.riley ·
I have 2 sites which are on the same network. Both sites have one NetWare 4.11 server (both patched with SP9). Users at site #1 have to access files on the server at site #2 (mainly word & excel documents). Recently the performance has degraded to the extent that it can take up to 15mins to open a excel file that is around 5-10mb in size.

Unfortunately I do not have any control over the network in between the 2 servers so I need to eliminate the servers first. I've been through all the usualTIDs on performance problems. Has anyone had a similar problem? As far as I can tell both servers are healthy as when users at site #1 access data on server #1 there isn't a problem (likewise with site #2 & server #2). To me this suggests that thereis a network problem..

All suggestions/ideas welcome..

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rogerndgreen In reply to Slow data access (NW4.11)

First of all, check for network card settings at server & client. Try not to use auto-negotiate, lock everything down. If your server and switch/hub it's connected to support full duplex - use it (I'm assuming that it Ethernet-flavour network?)
Can you track it down to individual workstations? If you can, is the NIC failing? Try using a different network point.
Try a different user login on the same workstation - it may be a strange fault on the user profile (if you've got roaming profilesenabled, they can get corrupted).
Are the problems only one way (ie site 1 users accessing site 2 server) or is it the same? You are gonna have to get your network team involved - they may have been changing some routing inbetween the servers, andcaused delays. Try IPX (not IP) pinging between the two servers.
Is your NDS healthy? Have you or anyone else changed an antivirus package (or it's settings) recently?
Are the delays in opening, or just writing to the file? Server utilization?Failing disks?
This may at least provide a starter for 10!

Roger

Collapse -

by chris.riley In reply to Slow data access (NW4.11)

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by brhynsburger In reply to Slow data access (NW4.11)

Yea I found out that my clients were running napster or aimster and it was killing ll bwidth.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by lelton In reply to Slow data access (NW4.11)

just a note,

Also from a performance point of view use only one page frame type for ipx (ie. 802.2) on all your servers and workstations. Windows is especially bad for this, ensure none of your windows workstations have ipx auto enables ... its doesn't work properly and just about cuts the WS performance in half.

If your using Client32 (which I recommend with a few extra tweeks), ensure your specify your pageframe, as well as remove write caching and specify your cache size to something like 1024k. Then things will really fly.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)