General discussion

Slow Delivery Outlook 2000 Thin Clients

By cjenkins ·
We have just upgraded to Windows 2000 Server, Exchange 2000, Outlook 2000 and Citrix Metaframe 1.8 for 2000. For some reason the users on Thin Clients will only recieve E-mail notification every 20-30 minutes of Internal email or when there is manual manipulation of screen changes within Outlook 2000. Users with PC's immediately get internal email while Thin clients do not. I have yet to discover why it is secluded to just the Thin Clients. We also use two different vendors for thin clients. It seems like there should be a setting for pushing the email down more frequently within Exchange 2000, however we experience no problems with users that are on PC's. Maybe the focus is with Citrix? I would greatly appreciate any help that getsus to immediate delivery of email to our thin clients without constant manual manipulation within outlook 2000 or the opening and closing to show new emails. Thank You,

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by jillbean In reply to Slow Delivery Outlook 200 ...

Outlook is usually installed once and and the settings repeat for all users. If you look at any citrix users settings, you'll have an idea of what all of the users settings are.

Maybe you are talking to your exchange server using pop3(Internet Mail) instead of the Microsoft Exchange Server client. (Tools-Services)

With the Exchange client, mail is nearly immediate IF mail is delivered to the mailbox
and not personal folders.

There is nothing wrong with pop3, but there is a setting in outlook for how often it will poll an internet mail server (Tools-Options-Mail Services which is maybe set too long for comfort.

Look at how burdened the Citrix Server is - maybe it simply doesn't have enough gas. The cheap and dirty way is simply to stare at the performance tab of the task manager for a while. If your MEM usage is more than the physical memory, maybe the server needs more ram.

You also check that you have registry keys in
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\TerminalServer\ compatibility\Applications for both Outlook and MAPISP32 The absence of both keys would imply that Outlook was incorrectly installed.

Collapse -

by cjenkins In reply to Slow Delivery Outlook 200 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

To jillbean,

How do I verify if I'm talking to my EX server using pop3 or MS EX server client? When I set up the workstations & Thin Clients I add MS Exchange services under Tools - Services.

Why should polling of an internet mail server matter when the delay is all in-house mail and only on Thin Clients (various vendors)?

Task Manager shows it's using 90% of physical memory. 960MB of 1,046MB on Citrix Server.

I was unable to find said keys. The trail dies after HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT.

I hope this info helps you in helping me. Thank You

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Software Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums