General discussion

Slow Opening Folders - Norton 2002

By mariola ·
I have installed new 2002 version of Norton System Works with Antivirus. I used to have an older version of Norton Antivirus. It seems that it has caused my folders to be very slow in opening, especially when you have several levels of folders. The final file, when found in a sub folder, opens easily and as normal.

I run Win 98 second edition on a Dell Inspiron 5000 700 MHz with 258 MB Ram. System resources left are only 28% when writing. According to RAMIdle it says 120 MB Ram are free. Further I have Internet Explorer 6 and Office 2000.

Apart from slow in opening folders it happens when several programmes are open that it tells me that system resources are low and I have to close some of the programmes.

This was not a problem before installing Norton 2002.

Can anybody help me with some pieces of advice.

Mariola

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by kcmeister In reply to Slow Opening Folders - No ...

Norton is a huge memory hog. Really sucks up the resources. Depending on how memory instensive the folders you have open can cause problems. Suggestion, uninstall norton completely and reinstall. The amount of RAM does not correctly reflect system resources. System resources reflect how windows allocates the memory resources to different programs. The other option would be to remove Norton 2002 from your system and go back to what works. Also, sometimes when you try and close too many programs at once, they can still remain resident-causing memory leaks that will eat up your resources. Try patiently closing one at a time.
Good luck!
kcmeister

Collapse -

by mariola In reply to Slow Opening Folders - No ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by mariola In reply to Slow Opening Folders - No ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)