General discussion

smc2632w wireless pc card issues

By joeysullivan ·
I have a client (elementary school) with 60 Toshiba laptops using smc2632w pc cards and smc 2655 access points. They seem to lose connectivity after random periods of time, with or without activity. They have 4 overlapping access points so they lose connectivity in batches.

During our troubleshooting, I installed one of the cards in my Dell laptop running Win2K Server and lost connectivity at the same time as a Toshiba running Win98. We tried a DLink AP 1000 access point and also lost connectivity after about 30 minutes. The drivers that came with the cards are the same version as the newest we downloaded. We couldn't get it to fail with just one Toshiba laptop running after about an hour.

We updated the firmware on the SMC AP and ran 2 Toshibas with smc cards and they stayed up for 4 hours before failing. We tried a DLink card with a Dlink access point and no problems so it seems to be the smc pc cards themselves.

I'm now trying 2 Linksys cards in 2 Toshibas with the SMC AP and have lasted an hour but am not hopeful. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar experience or knows of any resolution to this type of problem.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Ann777 In reply to smc2632w wireless pc card ...

You've tried a large variety and have experienced various disconnections.

I think I would look for power management issues on this... some nics have a hibernation or sleep mode built into them. After a certain period of inactivity, they willenter into hibernation and network connectivity will be lost. For those wireless nics that have this function, I'd recommend turning them off and testing them then.

Some computers may also have thier Power Management set in the bios. Turn thoseoff as well.

I don't know about SMC wireless, but I have seen and worked with the D-Link AP and Wireless nics. I know that the d-link items do not have a sleep or hibernation mode... if smc does, then turn that off. If linksys wirelss does, then turn that off as well.

Sometimes you get better results for holding true to a manufacturer... ie. not mixing access point manufacturer with the wireless nic manufacturer. These lower end (cheaper) wireless products are designed to work with their own access points best. I've seen lower end wireless nics work with some of the higher end wireless hubs though (access points).

You may not be having a problem with the hardware at all too. There may be an environmental inconsistency that isinterfering with consistent communication as well.

As with all wireless situations, persistance and patience are keywords to tracking down these types of problems.

Good luck.

Collapse -

by joeysullivan In reply to smc2632w wireless pc card ...

(From Joey)

Thanks for the input. I did actually troubleshoot for both of those suggestions, I just forgot to add that. There is a PS (power saving) setting on the AP configurator that is disabled by default. I also enabled wake on LAN for the NIC in the BIOS. I suggested the environmental effects theory and was going to take the whole mess back to my office and test it but wanted to test some of the more likely theories first. There are no radio/power stations anywhere near the school.They ordered only SMC products to start with. We are using other brands just to narrow down whether the problem is with SMC or not. Thanks for your answer.

Collapse -

by GIJoe In reply to smc2632w wireless pc card ...

Is this still a problem?

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums