id="info"

General discussion

spool32 taking up 12333 kb of memory una

By tseymour ·
I had users suddenly complaining about their 100mhz 16mb computers have suddenly come to what the user explained as a crawl. The systems are slowing down. I ran a diag. utility called bcm diagnostics. This is a good utility to find out what your computer is: (RAM, SIZEH/D, F/D, CHIP,M/B INFO, ETC). I was very surprised to see that 100% of 16mb of memory was used with nothing free. I had no windows open on the desktop. The unit is connected to a novell network. We'll BCM diagnostics displayed the tasks that were currently running on the computer. A spool32 is sucking up more rescources than explorer! Why? I checked the Win.ini file and spool32 is not there. Does anyone have an idea on what and how the spool32 is getting started? The more you print the greater %of RAM spool32 seems to want and does not give up the extra % after printing. Each of the other computer units of the same class show spool32 taking different %'s for each machine.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by EvilNed In reply to spool32 taking up 12333 k ...

Spool32 is your print spooler. If this happened around the same time to multiple boxes, it is probably a problem with the network printer driver. Try updating your drivers on the servers and clients. If your clients are running Win95 you may need toget the updated spooler library from MS: (SPOOLSS.DLL version 4.00.952 dated 04/17/97 86,528 bytes ). For a quick fix: Change the spooling format from EMF to RAW, this will bypass the spooler and send directly to the printer.

Collapse -

by tseymour In reply to spool32 taking up 12333 k ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to spool32 taking up 12333 k ...

Try looking on the novell site for patches for your server. Some of their older versions have a problem with spooling. You will probably want to get the y2k patches for your novell at the same time as well.

Markus

Collapse -

Collapse -

by wmusil In reply to spool32 taking up 12333 k ...

Check support.microsoft.com in the knowledgebase searching on keyword spool32 for your version of windows. This sounds like an older version of Windows (95 OSR1??) There were quite a few documented problems with leaks in spool32 in early versions ofwin95. There may be a service pack for your version of windows that will fix this.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums