General discussion

Stacking Cisco 2900s

By kevin_haugh ·
I'd love to get some information on how best to physically connect multiple switches to use as a stack or cluster. The switches I'm working with are Cisco 2900 series so all the ports are 10/100. I've seen a model where multiple ports were phsically connected between two switches just using multiple Cat-5 cross-over cables. What are the advantages of this configuration? Isn't there some potential problems with loops, etc.? Bottom line? I'm looking for some "best practice" info on stacking these switches"

Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Stacking Cisco 2900s

by rgrowcock In reply to Stacking Cisco 2900s

I don't know that what I'm doing is "best practice," but I have 5-2924 XL switches hooked together. I use ports 1-22 for clients and 23 & 24 for the crossover cables between the other switches. I have enabled Spanning-tree Protocol on 1-22 and haven't had any problems so far, better than a 1 in this configuration.

What you could do, is establish VLANs between either the switches themselves, or better yet between the clients. VLANs would cut down on the amount of possible loops and wouldalso separate clients from other clients. I.e. students from teachers from administrators. Just a thought for you, hope it helps. Roger

Collapse -

Stacking Cisco 2900s

by kevin_haugh In reply to Stacking Cisco 2900s

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Stacking Cisco 2900s

by mcoya In reply to Stacking Cisco 2900s

Well my question is why are you clustering/stacking? Is if for IP address consolidation for managment purposes or is it for redundency?

Collapse -

Stacking Cisco 2900s

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Stacking Cisco 2900s

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Networks Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)