Discussions

Starting an IT consultant business, need advice!

+
0 Votes

Starting an IT consultant business, need advice!

slconsultingsvc
Sorry if this has been posted before. I am new to TechRepublic. I got on here looking for information from IT consultants. I have been dabbling in the IT consultancy realm for several years on the side. A new customer has come onboard that will finally allow me to make the leap from being an employee to working for myself. I have a couple of different customers who frequently call me and I have enough contacts and a reputation that I believe I can be very successful at this. Scratch that... I know I will be successful at this.
So I am looking for advice from all the seasoned IT Consultants on here. What did you do right or what would you have done differently when you started up? And basically I am open to any advice that any of you have.
  • +
    0 Votes
    TBotNik

S,

What is your specialty?

Remember to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

TBNK

+
    0 Votes
    KSoniat

Anything by Sterling "Chip" Camden will tend to be consultant based.

You can sign up for newsletters by specialty and "consultant" is one of them.

Good Luck!

+
    0 Votes
    slconsultingsvc

Thanks for the tip on the newsletters. Also I have been an administrator in the medical field for the past few years and I recently upgraded the medical software for a local doctor so I think that may end up being a niche market for me. And quite frankly it would be a very good one. There are just too many small doctors offices that do not have the staff to have a clear and concise understanding of HIPPA requirements as it pertains to their computer equipment.

+
    0 Votes
    shasca

I have fully automated integrated Dentist, and opthtometrist. I have quite a huge picture portfolio.

+
    0 Votes
    TBotNik

S,

Please contact me via my LinkedIN page at:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tbotnik

I authored all automation software that lead to Public Law 106-129, so we need to talk.

OMR

+
    0 Votes

I intend to write an article on this topic -- I'll post a link here afterwards.

+
    0 Votes
    slconsultingsvc

I look forward to reading the article. I have been reading everything I can from authors such as Erik Eckel and yourself. Thanks for posting such valuable information. Us guys starting out need all the information that we can gather.

+
    0 Votes

Thanks for the topic.

+
    0 Votes
    KSoniat

...but I still find your articles worthy of note. Consistently.

+
    0 Votes

... very much!

+
    0 Votes
    GregMiliates

IT consulting is a very broad industry, so if you don't specialize, you'll be going up against a lot of competition. Specialization can also allow you to charge more, since there may be fewer consultants who can provide what you do, and so your niche service may be in higher demand.

Don't worry about a detailed business plan right now. What's most important is to determine your niche and how you'll get your first clients. Marketing channels are extremely important for any business. After you start generating some revenue, you can flesh out your plan a bit more. Starting out, concentrate on the minimum you need to get clients, deliver your service, and send out invoices.

Since you already have a few clients, you've established that people are willing to pay you for your expertise--great! Now you need to find more clients so you can grow your business and leave your day job (if that's your goal).

If you want more tips & tricks about getting starting a consulting business, you can read more at <a href="http://www.StartMyConsultingBusiness.com">http://www.StartMyConsultingBusiness.com</a>. I'll be publishing a free step-by-step guide to setting up a low-cost website for your business, so sign up for blog updates to make sure you get the guide!

• +
    0 Votes
    TBotNik

S,

What is your specialty?

Remember to differentiate yourself from the crowd.

TBNK

+
    0 Votes
    KSoniat

Anything by Sterling "Chip" Camden will tend to be consultant based.

You can sign up for newsletters by specialty and "consultant" is one of them.

Good Luck!

+
    0 Votes
    slconsultingsvc

Thanks for the tip on the newsletters. Also I have been an administrator in the medical field for the past few years and I recently upgraded the medical software for a local doctor so I think that may end up being a niche market for me. And quite frankly it would be a very good one. There are just too many small doctors offices that do not have the staff to have a clear and concise understanding of HIPPA requirements as it pertains to their computer equipment.

+
    0 Votes
    shasca

I have fully automated integrated Dentist, and opthtometrist. I have quite a huge picture portfolio.

+
    0 Votes
    TBotNik

S,

Please contact me via my LinkedIN page at:

http://www.linkedin.com/in/tbotnik

I authored all automation software that lead to Public Law 106-129, so we need to talk.

OMR

+
    0 Votes

I intend to write an article on this topic -- I'll post a link here afterwards.

+
    0 Votes
    slconsultingsvc

I look forward to reading the article. I have been reading everything I can from authors such as Erik Eckel and yourself. Thanks for posting such valuable information. Us guys starting out need all the information that we can gather.

+
    0 Votes

Thanks for the topic.

+
    0 Votes
    KSoniat

...but I still find your articles worthy of note. Consistently.

+
    0 Votes

... very much!

+
    0 Votes
    GregMiliates

IT consulting is a very broad industry, so if you don't specialize, you'll be going up against a lot of competition. Specialization can also allow you to charge more, since there may be fewer consultants who can provide what you do, and so your niche service may be in higher demand.

Don't worry about a detailed business plan right now. What's most important is to determine your niche and how you'll get your first clients. Marketing channels are extremely important for any business. After you start generating some revenue, you can flesh out your plan a bit more. Starting out, concentrate on the minimum you need to get clients, deliver your service, and send out invoices.

Since you already have a few clients, you've established that people are willing to pay you for your expertise--great! Now you need to find more clients so you can grow your business and leave your day job (if that's your goal).

If you want more tips & tricks about getting starting a consulting business, you can read more at <a href="http://www.StartMyConsultingBusiness.com">http://www.StartMyConsultingBusiness.com</a>. I'll be publishing a free step-by-step guide to setting up a low-cost website for your business, so sign up for blog updates to make sure you get the guide!