General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Static IP address

by ydiakite ·

How can I obtain a static IP for one of my servers?
    My ISP DSL provider does not give a static IP, it’s only dynamically. I have a domain name registered that I would like to host on my own server. Anybody that can help.
    Thanks
    Yussef Dikite

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Static IP address

by ann777 ·

In reply to Static IP address

1) go to http://www.download.com and download freeware “winip”:

Description
      From the developer: “Winip allows internet users to access your computer via a static host name (e.g. mycomputer.dhis.org) even though you may have a dynamic IP address. This lets others access your computer the same way every time, instead of having to enter a different IP address every time you reconnect to the internet. Winip 2.0 can now be used with DHIS and ODS servers, and runs on Windows 95/98, as well as Windows NT 4.0 and up. Winip is freely distributed under the Artistic License.

“Winip 2.2 is now available! This new version of Winip can now automatically determine your internet ip address. This advancement now lets WinIp work better with gateways and firewalls!

“Winip 2.2 can be used with any DHIS or ODS servers, and runs on Windows 95/98, as well as Windows NT 4.0 and up. Winip is freely distributed under the Artistic License.”

2) some isp’s will not “give” you a static ip, but if you agree to pay an extra charge (like 10-20$ more per month), they can do it.

Static IP address

by mckaytech ·

You might also check the Terms of Use on your DSL subscriber agreement. Most such agreements prohibit hosting a server and depending on how aggressive they are feeling at the moment, they might actually enforce it and shut your connection down.

That having been said, one other option is to use a dynamic DNS service, of which there are several. This works by frequently updating their server with your actual IP address so you’re up and visible on the Internet most of the time. Check out DynDNS, ODS, NameFree, etc.

Finally, of course, you can change to an ISP that WILL give you a static address.

paul

Static IP address

by ydiakite ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 2 reply threads