General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Strange characters when pinging

by blewis ·

Had a users machine get infected with a virus. Cleaned up the PC and deleted all instances of virii. Now I cannot authenticate to the domain. Can ping all domain controllers and can ping externally. Even added DC’s to host file. Problem is, I still think the machine has a bug b/c when I ping, on the first line pinging xxxxxxx there’s a weird character. Looks like a degree and then a y with two dots above it. Also, cannot access the ‘net via IE nor get updates for any Spyware programs nor Symantec AV. I remember seeing this long ago, but can not remember this fix (unless I just did a complete reinstall back then…..) I’d really like to avoid doing that this time as the user has some old programs installed that will be tough to track down.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Suggestion.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Strange characters when pinging

Re-post this in the proper forum, i.e. the Questions forum; presently you are in the Discussions forum.

The latter is intended fro general, open-ended discussions on matters of broad interest; the former, for technical problems in need of a solution.

As there are those who deliberately seek out problems such as yours, with an eye toward providing aid when possible, you will be more likely to attract their attention if you use the Questions forum, by using the “Ask a Question” button.

PS – The plural of “virus” is “viruses,” not “virii.”

Thanks on both counts

by blewis ·

In reply to Suggestion.

I’ll post under Questions forum and correct my spelling.

No problem.

by deepsand ·

In reply to Thanks on both counts

And, you’re far from being alone re. “viruses” vs. “virii.” Perhaps you studied Latin, and subconciously assumed that the English would follow accordingly?

Viewing 0 reply threads