Question

Swap Windows Server 2000 SCSI to Different Box

By ATLTEK ·
Client has a 5 year old Dell PowerEdge P4 server that just had the motherboard die. We don't want to invest in a new board. I want to take the SCSI controller and move it to a desktop that is not in use and temporarily run the Windows 2000 Server SCSI drive as the primary drive. I have to get that OS up again in order to figure out the database settings for this Platinum for Windows software that they use for inventory, accounting, the whole 9 yards.
What would happen if I just installed the SCSI controller in the desktop, then change the boot order to have it boot off the Server 2000 SCSI drive?
Is there a way to slave the SCSI drive and remove all the installed drivers (to give Windows Server 2000 a clean slate for the new desktop)? is this necessary?

Thanks,
Stevens

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

what are you trying to do, exactly?

by ben In reply to Swap Windows Server 2000 ...

What is it, exactly, that you're trying to do? You should be able to simply plug the SCSI controller into another system, boot off it, and recover the database settings in that manner - without changing the drivers. Yeah it'll be a mess, but at least then you'll be able to reinstall.

Collapse -

Wow, that was too easy.

by ATLTEK In reply to Swap Windows Server 2000 ...

Well, I just slapped the controller into the desktop, plugged in the SCSI, unplugged the IDE, and DONE. To my amazement, 2K Server found all the drivers on its own except the video.
Cheers!
-Stevens

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums