General discussion

That pesky code 39 error on hardware devices

Let's face it, who hasn't been bugged by these problems. usually when you repair install after upgrading some major hardware component.

Did you know with a little registry tweaking, it can all go away and your devices will work happily afterwards?

What does Microsoft say the reason for a code 39 error is?

"Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded."

But you and I know this is complete bollocks. We all know that UpperFilters and LowerFilters can be removed from the registry for fixing CD-ROM troubles. A search of techrepublic shows up a few response about this.

Did you know that we can also apply this to other code39 errors? Floppy not working? Search for it's upperfilters entry and remove it. Reboot, bingo! A working floppy disk. It also works for your audio devices as well. It should work for any hardware device in your system that has an upperfilters and/or lowerfilters registry entry. At least it worked perfectly for me on a system that had multiple code 39 errors on the audio device and floppy disk drive.

Don't forget to backup your registry before editing.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

That pesky code 39 error on hardware devices

by tsherr In reply to That pesky code 39 error ...

So far as I can tell, there is no upperfilters or lowerfilters for network devices, but this is an excellent tip for other devices - thanks!

T

Collapse -

Does Work On Various Devices

by mark In reply to That pesky code 39 error ...

Angus - Yep, I've seen the error code 39 on other hardware too and the upperfilters/lowerfilters fix took care of it.

I also saw 39 on a hard drive controller yesterday but the registry fix didn't do it - it was a driver reinstall.

This is the site I referenced that helped fix it that time:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-39-error.htm

Collapse -

code 39 error

by barcodetech In reply to Does Work On Various Devi ...

I read the link above and it helps me a lot. Thanks!

Back to Hardware Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums