General discussion

The Google redirect virus/trojan or what ever

By domiles ·
For the past month and a half I have been fighting off this cussed thing. It seems to only attach computers using IE and Fire Fox, but I need to check web sites on both and every other browser out there. I spent days searching the web and making phone calls to my ISP and every techie and every AV company around. They all had answers that were useless. The only way to eliminate it completely is reformat about 3 times and re-install everything!
Only Comodo seems to even notice it and it could not fully remove it.
Here is what I learned. It is the ancient 16 bit virus that I first met in Dos many decades ago. The modern AV and Trojan Removal programs except Comodo do not even watch for it. MY ISP tells me it is my computer (one was band new and infected when I tried to register it on line). Not one firewall notices any 16 bit program apparently. I tried all the removal programs that promised to do the trick. Utter failure. This thing seems to be coming from East Central Europe, send me to some very pretty but useless web sites for a while and then the constant "Server not found" message. If you are infected, do not waste time, back up your data, reformat 3 times (not sure why 3 is the magic # but I suspect it has to do with the boot sector) then re-install everything, load your files back in and run Comodo for each file and then do a full scan. I am also using their DNS not my IP and have not had a further problem. I edited my registry so much on the new computer that I will have to re-install that one too. There is no shortcut for this bug.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

I had this too!

by StevieElks In reply to The Google redirect virus ...

I had the same problem and you describe it exactly to what I had experienced. I got tech support on a forum which took about a week of slow follow ups and even the specific things like using ComboFix were difficult because I could not open them to install. My antivirus software completely was useless and I was very scared. As you said, I reformatted my hard drive and found that the virus was still there! a 2nd time and still there! then I think I reformatted it a 3rd time, or something just happened. It kind of went away on it's own in the middle of everything which left me feeling unsettled. This is the only resource that I found that gave a complete explanation of it http://www.squidoo.com/google-redirect-virus-removalz

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums