id="info"

Question

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001 BIOS freezes

By lee.reeves ·
Working on a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2001 that is freezing up about 3/4 of the way through the BIOS upon startup (according to the BIOS status bar). I tried the BIOS reset trick (remove battery and power plug, hold power button for 20 seconds, then plug power plug back in and start); however, the computer still freezes in the exact same spot in the BIOS. It doesn't prompt for a password or give any errors.
If I act quickly, I can press F2 rapidly after I start the laptop and it says "Please Wait" instead of the normal "Press [F2]for SETUP" option. The BIOS screen shows the Toshiba backgroun with the Celeron M logo, but just doesn't want to get passed that.
Other things I have tried:
- reseated memory and restarted: same..
- removed the wireless card and bluetooth cards and restarted without them: same..
- removed HDD and restarted: same..
- no sign on the case that there was any external damage... opened it up and it was clean and dry.
I created a flash Bios disk from Toshiba's website, but can't get to that point to where it is reading the drives. What am I missing?!?! I want to turn this laptop into a frisbee. Please help!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Call the manufacturer

by ws3d In reply to Toshiba Satellite A105-S2 ...

I would get on the phone with Toshiba. The mobo may need to be replaced. Good luck.

Collapse -

See if this helps

by Jacky Howe In reply to Toshiba Satellite A105-S2 ...

About the only thing that you have left to try before taking ws3d's advice is to reseat the CPU.
<br><br>
I would also recommend removing old thermal grease from the CPU and applying new grease for better heat conductivity.
<br><br>
If the CPU heatsink is not clogged with dust and lint completely, you can use canned air and just **** it inside the laptop through the openings on the bottom and on the sides. It might not work if your heatsink is completely clogged.
<br><br>
Open the laptop case, so you can access the CPU fan and the heatsink.
<br><br>
Carefully disconnect the fan cables on the system board and remove the fan. If the fan shows resistence when it spins replace the fan.
<br><br>
Clean the fan and the heatsink with compressed air.

<br><br>
<i>Keep us informed as to your progress if you require further assistance.</i>

<br><br>
<font size=1><i>If you think that any of these posts have solved or contributed to solving the problem, please Mark them as <b>Helpful</b> so that others may benefit from the outcome.</i></font size>

Collapse -

good idea

by ws3d In reply to See if this helps

I didn't think of that Jacky. I know some of the AMD mobile processors have had heat/heatsink/fan troubles. Why are you unemployed, man?

Collapse -

Why am I unemployed

by Jacky Howe In reply to good idea

I think that it is because I am in the wrong place and because of family commitments I can't move on just yet.

Collapse -

I get that

by ws3d In reply to Why am I unemployed

...and best of luck to you and your commitments! :-)

Collapse -

Found the problem.

by lee.reeves In reply to See if this helps

I took Jacky's advice and took the laptop apart again and reseated the CPU and redoing the thermal paste. As I was putting it back together I tested the laptop with only the monitor, memory, cpu and keyboard... it loaded. I slowly started to add devices, restarting between each device and found that it was a faulty CD-RW/DVD drive that was the culprit. The laptop is nice and clean now, but need to get another DVD drive.

Thanks for all the help! Your suggestion kept me from using this laptop as a paperweight.

Now to the virus filled hard drive, which is probably what made the guy throw the laptop in the first place. Would be nice if he did backups.

Lee

Collapse -

The old process of elimination

by Jacky Howe In reply to Found the problem.

good to see that you are up and running.

Collapse -

How's the laptop now?

by londonflu In reply to Found the problem.

I have the same problem; but it still does it when I remove the DVD. i'VE TAKEN IT APART & RESEATED EVERYTHING several times now. Same problem; HELP!

Collapse -

DVD drive there was the problem?

by strayhead In reply to Found the problem.

I have the same problem with a laptop. When I remove the DVD, the laptop goes. But when I put that DVD in another laptop, everything works, and when I put another DVD device in problematic laptop it does not start again.
Please if you remember that everything was fine when changed the DVD drive or how You fixed the problem, write here.
Thanks in advance!
Sorry for my bad English!

Collapse -

Drives are incompatible, or

by seanferd In reply to DVD drive there was the p ...

there is a problem with the drive controller.

Possibly the power system is failing, and the DVD drive draws enough power to kill the system.

Back to Hardware Forum
13 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next

Hardware Forums