General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

‘TR Community Newsletter’ axed.

by charliespencer ·

“Dear Readers: All good things must come to an end, and so it is with TechRepublic’s Community Central. This is the final edition of the newsletter.”

Another unifying feature discontinued. No more birthday notices or swap giveaways. (Happy B’day to Mae and Ansu, by the way.) This place has really changed in the last three years. The sense of community has been lost; it’s just another web site.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

makes it kinda sad

by purpleskys ·

In reply to ‘TR Community Newsletter’ axed.

doesn’t it 🙁 I miss a lot of the joking interactions with folks…and the barbing with others

A pick axe?

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to makes it kinda sad

.. I could pass out pick axes, and we could stick them all in Palmie 😀

-Tammy [_]3

Pick axes???`

by charliespencer ·

In reply to A pick axe?

The shovel has always been the tool of choice for Palmie abuse.

Pick shovel…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to Pick axes???`

Now that makes for an interesting new abuse tool 😉 🙂 😀

Nah, to abuse Palmie,

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Pick shovel…

you just need to bop him upside the head with an air wrench
          or jack from Nascar Sprint Cup Series, hehe! 😉
          How’d you like that Daytona 500 Palmie?

I hate restrictor plate races

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Nah, to abuse Palmie,

If it was my call, I’d knock the banking down at Daytona and Talladega so the drivers can go back to actually racing, not running a 200mph parade.

Too bad it’s not our call…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to I hate restrictor plate races

because I would like to see that as well. This years Daytona
          500 seemed sort of just there…maybe it’s the new cars, and
          drivers/crews not being as accustomed to them, but it sure
          seemed like there was not much passing going on. When
          the most exciting “racing” is getting off of pit lane during a
          yellow, something is just missing.

Coming from a country where Circuit

by hal 9000 ·

Racing means turning left and right I always saw Oval racing as Speedway which is a low end cheap motor sport that contributes nothing to the development of the breed.

When there was some New Developments the PTB stamped on them very quickly like the Gas Turbine Cars which all flamed out during a race and then had the rules changed to make then uncompetitive.

Somehow choosing which plastic to use in a Window in no way improves the End Product which is what we all drive. If the current Nascar Rules where in place when they started we would still be hand cranking engines to start them and wondering what brakes where today. 😉

Col

I enjoy road course racing too.

by charliespencer ·

But as a spectator, one thing to be said for ovals is that I can see the entire track from one spot.

I’m not a gearhead, so the technology level never mattered much to me. The goal of manufacturers participating in NASCAR was never to improve the consumer product anyway. It was to showcase their existing vehicles. True, the cars they field on the track nowadays have little in common with what’s on the showroom floor; at least the body styles are closer this year, and they finally abandoned carbs for injection. But for some reason the old ‘Win on Sunday, sell on Monday’ still holds true.

That is because most people see the Badge

by hal 9000 ·

And believe that it represents the make of car when in actual fact there is very little of that brand involved.

Here the Bathurst 1000 for local Tin Tops Holden [i]GM[/i] and Ford use a basic shape of the car for each brand and the engine but everything else is [b]Special[/b] some being for safety like Fuel Cells which do not leak in a crash and others like Gearboxes which are Race Specials and where never fitted to any Road Car they where built for racing and the ability to easily change gear ratios quickly for different tracks or car setups.

The Old Ford Diff is still popular or at least was the last time I looked but that was a while ago now as I don’t really follow that type of racing other than occasionally looking at some sort of failure and writing a report to prevent that happening again. Things like Fuel Rails for Injector Systems which leak come to mind but there is very little else that even comes close to what is supplied as Production Vehicles. Most do not even start with anything but a Body Shell and build their race cars from that after reworking the basic shell to suit their needs. Things like welding every metal joint get done which simply isn’t in any Production Vehicle and all Engine, Transmission and Suspension Mount Points are changed to suit what is being used by that team.

However what really put me off Oval Racing was the crowds who attend as they seem to me to be more interested in the crashes than Motor Racing as to them there is no Motor Racing without big nasty looking crashes. Hence they want to see all of the track so that they miss none of the crashes and make sure that they get a better view of them when they occur.

Of course like the recent one where so many cars came together and mounted the walls a lot will complain that they got injured by bits of car entering the spectator areas. Ideally this should not happen but honestly it’s what the majority of spectators want to see.

Col

You’re getting calcified!

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Pick axes???`

Shovels just won’t do the trick no more :^0
          And thanks for the B-day greet! 😀

hehehe

by purpleskys ·

In reply to A pick axe?

girl, you’re so bad 😉

Figures….

by cmiller5400 ·

Another nail in the coffin.

Ah dang, and my birthday is next week

by slayer_ ·

But I have sort of abandoned this place now. Time to look for someplace new.

Any suggestions?

Good idea

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Ah dang, and my birthday is next week

Anywhere that is what TR used to be?

And don’t bother with the My Face, Linked-out and Space Book type garbage that’s as pointless as Teats on a Bull.

Col

Guess we could go “under net”,

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Good idea

start our own channel on IRC, setup a gopher server so we could
          have a place to share documentation, resurrect Archie and Veronica
          (not the comics) and just use Lynx for the occasional foray to the
          outside interwebs. Or maybe go all retro and setup a BBS, have to
          find a modem bank somewhere unless we used telnet…hmmm,
          maybe Fidonet?

By golly! The “Undernet” may still be alive!

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Guess we could go “under net”,

http://www.undernet.org/
          Haven’t used that one in some 6 or 7 years…used to have a
          channel there and on DalNet that I accessed using my old IBM
          PS2 Model 5500SX with a 2400 baud modem, DOS 6.22….
          hmmm…might have to see what Undernet offers.

Hehehe

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Good idea

Just because you left one out:
          “The scummy pond” is now open for business on Google+ :^0
          https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105980906299370760570

Learn to cover your bases, man!

Okay, Palmetto – I gotta’ say this (just between you and me)

by maxwell edison ·

Don’t you dare mention Mae and Ansu in the same breath. The former is deserving of all due respect and admiration, while the latter is what’s contributed to the demise of this site (at least the Water Cooler).

You mentioned the last “three years”? Between those two, who’s been gone and who’s been here? DUH!!!! End of story.

Put the PC crap aside, and call it as it really is.

And I’ve Got To Say This

by dogknees ·

In reply to Okay, Palmetto – I gotta’ say this (just between you and me)

Max,

You are the problem in the Water Cooler.

Sorry if that offends, though you obviously don’t care if you offend others, but I’m calling it the way I see it.

Typical of the right wing nuts…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to And I’ve Got To Say This

to tell others what they may or may not say.
          And blaming others for their own failures, too :^0

Typical of elitist nuts.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Typical of the right wing nuts…

Right or left-wing. Statist nuts, too, for that matter. Let’s not leave out religious nuts.

Dammit!

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Typical of elitist nuts.

Now I am hungry.

Carefull dogknees…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

http://www.funny-games.biz/cartoon/maxwellssilverhammer.html

You never know when you’ll set him off, hehe! 😉

I set him off all the time..

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Carefull dogknees…

That’s why he’s “off” all the time :^0

I’m the problem in the Water Cooler? You’re sorry if that offends?

by maxwell edison ·

I’m not offended in the least. And you’re right, I don’t care if I offend others. Being “offended” simply because of what someone else might think or say, is not only stupid for someone to inflict upon one’s self, but is smacks of support for Orwell’s “new speak”.

I know. You didn’t read it. Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe you should read a book or two about REALITY. And if that offends you, too damn bad; you made the wrong choice.

By the way, you say that I’m the problem with the [i]Water Cooler[/i]. And you say this to the guy who created the term, [i]Water Cooler[/i] for TR. As such, you are dead wrong. Try again.

Read the Book

by dogknees ·

In reply to I’m the problem in the Water Cooler? You’re sorry if that offends?

My single biggest gripe with the comments you make is the fact that you accuse people you’ve never met of dishonesty just because they disagree with your beliefs.

You certainly have the right to say whatever you like, I would not argue with that, but you don’t have any right to expect to have your opinions accepted when you make unfounded allegations about people whom you know nothing about.

The fact that I and many of my friends and acquaintances are in the groups you accuse of dishonesty means you are directly impugning our honesty. And as long as you continue to do so, I will continue to say what I think of you in similar terms. Seems fair to me.

I disagree

by av . ·

Maybe you may not like what Max says all the time, but he has posted many of the most interesting, thought provoking discussions in the Water Cooler for many years.

There is room for all opinions here, whether you agree with them or not. Max can be challenging, undoubtedly, but how can you have any kind of interesting discussion without opposing viewpoints?

AV

The problem is, he can’t live and let live.

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to I disagree

Which means his whining about freedom can only apply to himself. There are words for those kinds of people, but none of them are polite.

“Put the PC crap aside, and call it as it really is.” – Edited.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Okay, Palmetto – I gotta’ say this (just between you and me)

I started this discussion; within TR’s rules, I’ll express myself in it as I damn well please. You’re big on personal rights; do they apply only to you?

If you have problems with people being mentioned together, I suggest you take it up with the (former) editor of the newsletter. That’s where I read the birthday updates. Any offense you may take from the birthday greetings I posted is entirely your own choice; don’t take me to task. But while you’re at it, feel free to froth at the mouth over these pairings: “Goldwater and Obama”; “Pelosi and Boehner”; “Founding Fathers and Gun Rights Opponents”; and to get really offensive, “Cowboys and Redskins”.

If you think Ansu is a problem, have you considered not responding to him? Gods of us all, he publicly admits he’s baiting you. You may want to hover your cursor over his avatar and click the ‘Ignore’ button; your choice.

If sticking “just between you and me” in the title of a public forum isn’t “PC crap”, I don’t know what it is. If you really wanted something just between us; you know how peer messaging works.

EDITED – “You may want to hover your cursor over his avatar and click the ‘Ignore’ button; your choice.” I’ve decided to take my own advice.

Palmetto – Just between you and me

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to “Put the PC crap aside, and call it as it really is.” – Edited.

Don’t tell anybody, but that last [i]”just between you and me”[/i] comment WAS A JOKE! A little levity; a little chuckle. But even though I wrote it with that intent, you obviously read it as though it has some other intent. I surmise that you took it as though I didn’t want anyone else to read it. (I guess I’ve used that particular line once too often.)

The intent of my comparison (or contrast) between Ansu and Mae should have been obvious, but I’ll accept the fact that I was obviously mistaken. Personally speaking, I put Mae on a pedestal around here. Ansu, on the other hand, I put his head in the toilet. I respect Mae; I don’t respect Ansu. Mae earned it; Ansu has not.

You point out that Ansu intentionally baits me. I did not know that (in my best Johnny Carson impersonation), because I seldom read his crap. And when I do, I challenge the stupid, false, or misleading things he says. But the volume is turned up much higher on you when you fail to criticize Ansu for baiting me, but yet you criticize me for allegedly taking the bait. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? But go ahead, defend the a$$ h0le all you want.

About the only thing unchanged here is

by hal 9000 ·

The TR Search Function didn’t work way back when and still doesn’t work.

Col

Didn’t it start working at some point?

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to About the only thing unchanged here is

Or did they “fix” it again?

No not really

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Didn’t it start working at some point?

It just found more things than it ever did before but still missed a lot.

It’s still missing a lot and I didn’t see the TR Community Scoreboard from the 22 till today the 27th and even then I had to google it.

Col

World not ending quite yet, then…

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to No not really

Who cares about Mayans, this is the real doomsday clock, I tell you!

Well actually

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to World not ending quite yet, then…

It’s already ended but at the moment we are waiting for the Event to catch up with Reality.

Time is not a straight line it’s all [b]Timey Wimy[/b] and strange so we do not always see the effect that causes the event. 😉

Col

Woohoo

by shellbot ·

This thread actually has some posts and some spunk!

We better be careful or it might start to feel like old times.

As for a new hangout, just let me know and I’m there!

i tried to start the cafe again

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Woohoo

but i admit to letting it fall by the wayside that last couple weeks; been too focused on trying to find a job 🙁 .

I’m hoping the opportunity that just fell into my lap this week works out well; it’s a little outside my comfort zone, but it’s time for me to put on my big girl panties and try something new 😉 .

You can do it….

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to i tried to start the cafe again

You have the smarts, talent and pazazz 😀

-Tammy [_]3

thanks Tammy

by purpleskys ·

In reply to You can do it….

I’ve never done any type of sales work outside of working in a restaurant so this will definitely be a test of my skills. It’s advertising sales for a publishing company one town over; they’re looking to have a rep in my area as they don’t have one right now. I’m nervously excited 🙂

It sure does take up a lot of time looking, doesn’t it?

by av . ·

In reply to i tried to start the cafe again

I haven’t found a job either and I spend most of my time looking and looking and looking . . .

One day something will come up for both of us.

AV

jobs

by purpleskys ·

In reply to It sure does take up a lot of time looking, doesn’t it?

too true…and hopefully sooner rather than later. This position I’m taking is something I can make my own hours with but it’s commission based. It will be a nice compliment to a part time job of some sort so I’m still throwing resumes out there at just about anything; heck, I even applied at a local Tim Horton’s lol…anything at this point will do.

Good luck AV..hopefully something comes along soon that’s perfect for you

New place to hang out?

by Sonja Thompson ·

I know that Hal (and some others on this thread) aren’t big fans of Facebook, but I’d really like to make the weekends GEEKEND on TechRepublic’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TechRepublic

Ok, so right now, other people’s comments only appear in a little box called “Recent Posts by Others on TechRepublic.” But what if I started a Friday Night Music thread on Friday nights there? Would you come and participate?

As for birthday shout outs, I still try to include those in the TR Community Scoreboard. If you search for “Community,” those should come up right away – in case you’ve been having a hard time finding them.

Any other ideas? I’m all ears over here…

Unfortunately

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to New place to hang out?

Searching for “community”, even with ‘most recent’ as the sequence, doesn’t pull up the community scoreboard until the fourth or fifth result. Selecting “last week” or last month narrows it down, but still doesn’t pull up the most recent post.

I did find it on the “Hottest” tab in Discussions, though…

I find TR Community Scoreboard by stalking, errrr…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

following you Sonja, hehe…then I just pull down the menu on My Account,
        then People and see when you were around Friday mornings.
        I’m one of those that doesn’t do Facebook, I skipped My Space, no
        Twitter. The forums here are about as much social networking as I do.

But Wiz My Space is GREAT

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to I find TR Community Scoreboard by stalking, errrr…

Currently My Space is just outside any Airlock Door built into Discovery. I have Video Feeds on every area to film the victims going out the Air Lock Unexpectedly [i]for them.[/i] :^0

Though that particular My Space isn’t what is being talked about here I surmise. 😉

Col

Hehe…well, that’s sort of my notion of what should be done

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to But Wiz My Space is GREAT

with most of this “social” stuff…try as I might, I can’t convince my
          wife and her daughter to limit their exposure to Facebook…so
          I make sure they regularly scan for adware in addition to regular
          malware scans! 😉

Yahoo Groups?

by Wizard57M-TR ·

I once had a Yahoo Group, not sure if they (Yahoo) still allow files or not but they used to. That way we could share pics, documentation and hard to find
        utility software…it was a group of old DOS internetters, hehe! Anyway,
        might be an option. Yahoo is somewhat accessible without having to use
        the latest and greatest whatever OS/browser, and you can set your
        privacy settings to maintain some semblance of privacy. The group is
        no longer around, but my old Arachne at Freelists.org email list is alive,
        somewhat.

I was (am?) a member of several Yahoo groups

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to Yahoo Groups?

I still get the notifications from a couple of them.

But my account was highjacked. Twice! In spite of a 20+ character passphrase the second time. After that, I gave Yahoo up as a bad thing.

My old Internet In DOS group didn’t start life at Yahoo…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to I was (am?) a member of several Yahoo groups

there was a service called OneList that hosted mailing lists/groups
          that I started it on. It was usable with any browser, I set it up with
          an old DOS port of Lynx. Back in those days, Yahoo was on a
          buying spree, buying up everything, and OneList became one of
          their victims, err, acquisitions. For awhile, things were as they had
          been, but then some of the old DOS browsers couldn’t access the
          site, though members still received emails. When it got to where
          I as site owner couldn’t access the list management areas without
          “SSL, cookies and JavaScript enabled”, I let it join the rest of history.
          One of the other members tried to start another group at Freelists,
          but by that time there were maybe 20 of us old DOSosaurs left…
          Anyway, enough reminiscing…I mentioned Yahoo only as an idea…
          their service is probably at same security level as Facebook.
          (slinks off to corner of web, remembering WizLynx, Lynx 386, Arachne…)

Maybe just put them in the water cooler.

by slayer_ ·

Or maybe start a new site, away from the viruses plaguing facebook and the like.

G+?

by ansugisalas ·

It’s after all a ghost town, so the real estate costs should be pretty reasonable :^0

But we don’t need a Community this is a Technical Site

by hal 9000 ·

Doesn’t matter that it was the [b]”Sense”[/b] of Community that made TR so Special and caused many of use to join in the first place instead of going elsewhere.

This is a Technical Site and doesn’t need a Sense of Community, doesn’t encourage friendships between Peers, or actually any longer wants people to consider other TR Members Friends. After all this is what Social Networking is for and it certainly no longer matters that TR was [b]The Social Networking Site for IT Professionals.[/b]

Many other Technical Sites have come and gone even before TR started till today and what drew so many to TR was the Sense of Community, but now TR is just another [b]Technical Site[/b] which could easily disappear through lack of members because there is no [b]Special[/b] reason to continue returning and helping to make TR the [b]Superior Site[/b] that it once was and most certainly no longer is.

Doesn’t matter that to be a High TR use Member meant that you made hundreds of Posts per week as contributions to the Discussion Threads and your value to others was measured in Hundred of Thousand of Tech Points for answering questions that back then tended to be far more complicated technical in nature, or that today many of the questions appear to be from what amounts to [b]End Users[/b] who want to know why Hibernation doesn’t work in Windows on their Note Books or whatever [b]Site Traffic is up[/b] so it must be better. Even though today a High TR use Member may only post 10 times a week to the Discussion Threads.

Sorry but I disagree as TR no longer appears to have the Overwhelming IT professionals it used to it has turned into more of a End User Group who want to know the basic stuff and can not be bothered by the more complicated items that we used to discuss and rib each other about in the [b]Good Old Days[/b] of TR.

OH incidentally there was no TR Community Central this week the Powers that Be killed it off and we are all the worse for it’s demise.

Col

Hmm, somebody needs a RAM upgrade!

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to But we don’t need a Community this is a Technical Site

Here…it’s free!
        http://www.downloadmoreram.com/download.html
        or you can choose how much additional RAM you want…
        http://www.downloadmoreram.com/index.html

But, yes, it is less technical now, though I have a notion that
        is due to technology itself being not quite as difficult to setup
        and keep going as it once was. Shucks, I remember spending
        HOURS tweaking my AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to load
        drivers in just the right order to have maximum conventional
        memory available…only to redo it again and again until I reached
        that magic number of 624kb conventional memory available
        after everything was loaded! Ahhh, the good ol’ days…
        think I’ll grab an additional 2 gig RAM!! 😉

Or, perhaps this would be more to your taste, if you have a
        3D printer!
        http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/download-this-gun-3d-printed-semi-automatic-fires-over-600-rounds/

I’ve actually just answered a question

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Hmm, somebody needs a RAM upgrade!

About a Video Card for a old Dell which has been loaded with 7 and doesn’t have a suitable driver.

Yep highly complicated as the answer is in the Owners Manual. :-&

Personally Wiz I have memories of fitting plug in cards one at a time till they all worked in a system which involved shuffling them in the ISA and Vesa Sockets.

Editing AutoExces was par for the course back in the DOS days particularly if you used M$ DOS. When I had to do that I tended to edit the files on another system which had DR DOS loaded as it was easier. But then again I didn’t like M$ DOS at all. :^0

OH and my original 486 had a 100 MEG HDD which I had to fight the shop to sell me and 8 X 16 MEG RAM Modules. They insisted that I could never use all of the RAM or fill the HDD. After they replaced 3 MBoards it actually worked as well and luckily for me I waited on the last day before Christmas to pick it up till nearly 8.00 PM. The first working day after Christmas the Shop was empty and the staff had no idea of what had happened. They had not even been notified and where left standing out the front of the now empty shop without pay. Of course the people who had paid for computers and arranged to pick them up after Christmas where not overly happy or the people who had computers in for repairs.

I was really lucky on that one even though it was totally unexpected. 😀

OH and we need a Shaking Head in Disgust Motion here as well. [/shakes head]

Col

Memories

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Hmm, somebody needs a RAM upgrade!

I used to work at a large corporation, and the desktop support team I was part of prided ourselves in our ability to manipulate autoexec.bat and config.sys better than any memory management software that was out there. We spent far too much time, and we competed against each other. All good fun, and it helped us learn.

A latecomer to the field

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Memories

DOS was at the beginning of the PC Era and much latter even up the the 486 and early Window Days, I remember the old Hydraulic controlled HDD that leaked and where fun to repair in the Mainframe days. Back them we had real computers that you couldn’t pickup and move about. 😉

Col

Those were the days

by av . ·

I personally loved DOS, still do, and fondly remember tweaking the autoexec.bat and config.sys to utilize the little memory that the old PCs had to work with.

IT was such a challenge back then, but it required some real expertise to get everything to work right. I think the TR community was founded on that need and it morphed into a community of regulars that shared ideas, expertise and friendships.

I see the TR community making something of a comeback lately, but don’t think it will translate to the Facebook environment. I see Facebook as more of a personal friends/family venue and I know many people here don’t like or use Facebook at all. For myself, I’m not a big fan and rarely use it. I guess this is what I’ve become accustomed to.

AV

Don’t do Facebook, MySpace or really any social networking site

by cg it ·

I liked Friday Night Music, even enjoyed the Horiculture threads. Water cooler was interesting.

Q&A ? there are a lot of sites, often the manufacturer’s site that provides technical help for hardware and software that makes Q&A here irrelevant. Especially for Microsoft products.

Viewing 9 reply threads