Thanks Soni

by purpleskys ·

In reply to TR Community scoreboard for April 27, 2012

Not sure how I managed to have that many votes up, but I’ll take it 🙂

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Oh my…

by ansugisalas ·

Top blabbermouth of the week with 28 posts?
      Who’d’a’thunk?

yeah its kind of sad

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Oh my…

28 posts….
        But there hasn’t been that many interesting blogs this week. The comicon costumes is all I can think of.

The one about

by hippiekarl ·

In reply to yeah its kind of sad

Alternatives to Google Services (and why there even ARE such alternatives) had a lot of potential for the kind of ‘lively discussion’ that totes up one’s ‘# of posts’, but nobody wanted to stick to their guns after opining; everyone just Hit and Run-ed with their initial rant. Bad signal : noise ratio for much good-quality parrying/riposting. I tried to engage with various posters at least 5 times, but no takers. I (and anyone who wished to back up their post’s contentions) woulda hit 28 for the week easily. Get ’em next time, Karl….

That one bored me.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to The one about

I use Google as my primary search engine, my secondary mapping source behind MapQuest, and don’t use it for anything else.

One quick gauge of ‘signal to noise’ is the number of posts that don’t have an avatar.

Every site seems to have Google-analytics.com

by slayer_ ·

In reply to That one bored me.

I assume this is how google tracks us. so even if you don’t use google services, they still track you and still search profile you.

But I don’t care.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Every site seems to have Google-analytics.com

I’m no more worried about that level of data than I am the grocery discount card or restaurants’ mailing lists.

Me, either;

by hippiekarl ·

In reply to Every site seems to have Google-analytics.com

that’s less data, second-hand (or more), and I doubt it includes my IP address, for example. It’s the measly *crumbs* of what google gobbles through its own ubiquitous data-siphons. Show of hands—-who’s logged in right now?

Probably does have you IP

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Me, either;

Probably has your IP and location and browser and any “get” queries.

Yeah, it’s just not the same

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to Oh my…

Three or four years ago, you didn’t even make the list with 28, and often didn’t make the list with the 114 total posts from the top 5!

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-out-loud/video-tr-out-loud-august-22-2008/158

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-out-loud/video-tr-out-loud-november-6-2009/1334

But TR is a more ‘social’ place today… :^0

NickNielson? ;)

by ansugisalas ·

In reply to Yeah, it’s just not the same

But seriously, 265… wow.
          I can’t say I remember what my top number has been, but 265 seems like it would have been around 50% over it!

That may have been a week…

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to NickNielson? ;)

…with Friday Night Music. For an FNM thread, all bets were off as far as number of posts. Some of those threads exceeded 1000 posts; those participating could easily exceed 100 posts in not much more than a day or two.

What happened to Palmetto?

by Wizard57M-TR ·

In reply to Oh my…

He’s usually ranked up there either at the top or close to it?
        Did that rascal get to go to the Nascar race at Richmond?

Could be recovering from all of those Slaps that the Girls used to give him

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to What happened to Palmetto?

Or maybe the Brain Damage has finally caught up with him and he’s sitting there drooling into his breakfast and not knowing what’s going on around him. Happens to all abused IT workers eventually. 😉

Col

I haven’t been slapped in a while.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Could be recovering from all of those Slaps that the Girls used to give him

Most of the slappers have moved on to other pastures.

When I drool into my oatmeal, I just stir it in. 😀

Vacation

by charliespencer ·

In reply to What happened to Palmetto?

I’ve been on vacation four of the last eleven work days, and we all know what the work load looks like after vacation. I’ve never been very active after hours or on the weekends.

I’ve been to Richmond two or three times. It has great visibility, and I’ll probably get there again, but night races just make for too long an event for me these days. I’ll be at Darlington in a couple of weeks, but it’s only 75 minutes or so from the house.

Thank you Sonja!

by Wizard57M-TR ·

Hope everyone has a good time planned for the weekend, but if you have
      to work, don’t work too hard! I’m always “on call”, hehe!

I have something even worse to work on this weekend

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Thank you Sonja!

The Wifes Daughter which I have no responsibility for and I’m sticking to that wants me to fix her car which she has broken [b]Yet Again.[/b]

Who ever said that Blonds aren’t stupid didn’t know that they where talking about. 😉

Col

Is everyone having a good weekend?

by Sonja Thompson ·

I’m thinking about y’all. Hope you’re having a good one! 🙂

Mediocre one here

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Is everyone having a good weekend?

Kinda icky and cold today so it’s an inside day, watched the Rangers – Caps game. How’s about your weekend?

stormy weekend, but relaxing

by Sonja Thompson ·

In reply to Mediocre one here

Purp (wait a sec, that nickname doesn’t sound right…), you saw my FB pic of the hail storm in Louisville. The week before Derby, there’s LOTS going on, and I’m so glad that I wasn’t out and about when the hail hit. Had a great time just relaxing this weekend – no shenanigans (saving myself for next week) 😀

I watched that sucker on radar.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to stormy weekend, but relaxing

I have in-laws across the river. I monitor the weather in the area when the NWS starts issuing warnings.

PS seems to be the shortened version of choice

by purpleskys ·

In reply to stormy weekend, but relaxing

Yes, I did indeed see the pic, holy moly…that was something!!! Glad it passed. We finished off the weekend with more hockey. I’ve still got a few ongoing issues that I have to deal with, so I keep myself kinda low key.

I take it you plan on having a blast next weekend ;). All derby related as well? Glad you had a great weekend 🙂

Well lest see

by hal 9000 ·

It’s been raining quite heavily here for the last few days. Saturday I spent standing under the Wifes Daughters house only partially in the rain changing a water pump in a Dahatisu along with her dogs, chickens and ducks seeking cover. Well at least the Ducks and Chickens where looking for cover the dogs just wanted to be patted all the time and they stood on your feet, jumped up on you and generally misbehaved just to get some attention.

I’m not sure just how well Dog Hairs in Gasket Goo actually seal things but at least that’s all back together and then I was hit well since you are at it you may as well do a Oil Change and service. This of course was after I packed the jack and tools away and after I had refitted all of the spark plugs. It would have been so much easier to just put in new spark plugs instead of cleaning the old ones and refitting them before being told that she wanted them changed.

The Blond asked me did it make a difference as she stood there and watched me do the entire thing. Naturally Undercover unlike me. ?:|

Sunday morning there where over 300 + Lorries in the tree by the back door and when I opened the back door they all started asking to be feed, before that they where quite and just standing in the tree waiting patiently for someone to come along and open the door. Of course the baby Magpie walked straight into the house as soon as the front door was opened and sat on the coffee table waiting to be feed. I’m beginning to come to the conclusion that I’m only here for the Wild Life to have full bellies and be well feed.

The Pigeons, Lorikeets and Grey Chested Butcher Birds are all [b]Grossly Overweight[/b] and can barely fly away these days and the Blue Eyed Honey eaters are just Overweight but can still take off from the ground unlike the Lorries who have to jump across the ground climb up to 20 feet up a tree and then jump madly flapping their wings to get airborne and the Pigeons all run into the wind as fast as their overloaded legs will carry them while all the time flapping their wings as fast as possible in the forlorn hope of getting aid born sometime before they get caught by something or run over by a car.

At least today it’s only showers which while heavy do occasionally stop and allow you to go downstairs without getting drowned unlike yesterday. I’m also not doing any work on the Wife’s Daughters car today so it’s [b]GREAT.[/b] :^0

So Soni what Mischief have you been getting up to this weekend?

Col

Mine’s been OK so far…

by Wizard57M-TR ·

Did make one trip to my store, but that was to take some groceries I had
        purchased for the fountain. While there, I decided to install a few ceiling
        tiles to replace some of the old worn ones (need to procure more of those!)
        and vacuumed the carpet. Got to keep the little shop clean! Now I’m back
        home heating something to eat.
        I feel Col’s pain…my step-daughter is convinced I’m a master mechanic as
        well as computer wizard and a pharmacist! At least this weekend she didn’t
        mention any auto repairs, hehe! But I usually do what I can…she did have
        a small request from my fountain…a bag of “those excellent potato chips
        and a Butterfinger candy bar”! Yep, good ol’ Wiz brought them to her!
        We’re trying to get the store ready for the town birthday celebration,
        110 years, on May 26th! Big time for the little town, and I had a few
        requests to fix up a big batch or two of my gumbo…guess it tastes
        pretty good. Anyway, lot’s of activities are planned for the day!

Well in my case Wiz

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to Mine’s been OK so far…

[b]SWMBO[/b] insists that her daughter is mine as well but I deny all knowledge of that.

Besides if she where mine I should be able to sell her on E Bay and [b]SWMBO[/b] will not allow that to happen. More importantly she’s a Blond so that’s just not possible that I had anything at all to do with it. 😉

Col

Wonderful!

by nicknielsen ·

1. Not on call.
        2. Homemade leek & potato soup for supper.
        3. Homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
        4. A ‘build your own’ sixpack from Kroger.
        5. Researching a new PC.

It just don’t get no better than this! :p

I’m busy looking at Class A RVs this weekend

by hippiekarl ·

and trying to figure out what the most reliable internet connection is for a home-on-wheels, in and out of the boonies. I doubt I’ll always be near a cell tower, but I should be under a satellite most of the time(!). The chore of throwing out excess ‘project junk’, redundant clothes, and so on is heartening work when I remind myself that the goal is my freedom….
        I never realized how much junk I accumulate (it’s mostly GREAT junk, but still….). Plus I’m prepping a guitar body for my first attempt at a “swirled” (dunked-in-marbled-enamel-paint) paint job. It’s a 3-day weekend for sure around here!

Until there’s universal cell or wifi coverage

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to I’m busy looking at Class A RVs this weekend

Satellite is probably the way to go. Although, if you only want access while parked, wifi might be cheaper.

Friends of mine own an RV and say they usually have no trouble finding hotspots in or near where they’ve parked. Most RVing websites have lists of campgrounds and locations with free wifi.

A Class A? THAT’s gonna be just a bit bigger than your pickup truck! :^0

When the smoke finally clears

by hippiekarl ·

In reply to Until there’s universal cell or wifi coverage

…it should be down to a 31′-36′ RV and a +/-10yr old Miata/Z-3/MR2Spyder on a tow-bar (and a lot of storage on top; I’ll likely make a fairing afore the cargo rack). I think you’re right about satellite; that’s what I’m looking into. The dish is supposed to track on gimbels, but I haven’t found out if that’s in real-time, or just finding a sat signal while stationary. The cats’ll hold up better than Cathie on long hauls (w/o any FB et al). The FPS and racing worlds of PS3 will be less of a time-suck soon, too. It’s about time I put it to the Community (in ‘Questions’); gotta be a few RVers here who’ve already explored the choices.

The Dishes that I’ve seen here

by hal 9000 ·

In reply to When the smoke finally clears

Are only for use while stationary and the Mobile Broadband which is effectively the 3G Cell Network can be flaky depending on where you are.

One customer was parked 50 feet from a Tower and got no Signal well enough of a signal to tell him he could connect and then no speed when he did took hours to open a Web Page and that was just the Google Search Page.

Really depends on where you plan on going though as most places here are within range of the 3G Network except the Big Off the Beaten Track places like Carnarvin Gorges and the like.

The problem with Satellite here is most of the users have gone under low bridges and torn the dish off the mounts on the roof. It’s a very long stop when that happens.

I had a small Mobile Home based on a Mercedes 408 Chassis only 32 feet and I didn’t have any issues with the then Mobile Broadband but then again I didn’t use the vehicle at all because work got in the way every time I wanted to use it but a friend drove it all round AU twice the Sister and her then boyfriend went to Darwin and then took it on their Honeymoon pulling a 36 ft boat behind it.

A couple of others used it and judging by the bills that I got from the Mobile Broadband company they used it a lot, no one complained about a lack of reception though I’m fairly sure that they only used the net when parked. I had an external Directional Broadband aerial mounted on it rather than considering relying on a USB Dongle it just plugged into the PCMCIA Card in the NB in the unit with a hook in point for Ceil Phones if required. Not much Public WiFi back then so most people where using the Mobile Broadband.

Col

Satellite is expensive.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Until there’s universal cell or wifi coverage

Most Good Sam’s and KOA have wifi now. Even tethering will be cheaper, unless you’ve absolutely must have guaranteed round-the-clock access.

Regarding your ‘toad’, consider which one will be easiest to find places to have it serviced.

My wife is terrified we’ll get a land yacht after we retire and chase the NASACAR circuit all season. That’s silly; those two California races are just too far. 🙂

Outstanding.

by charliespencer ·

Saturday we had Indian buffet at Spice Junction, napped, and watched cars go round in little bitty circles.

Sunday was spend watching cars going around in squiggles, some of them in the rain, working on various gardening activities during the commercials. Then I knocked out a wicked frittata for dinner.

We had a Bobwhite quail on the back fence, and a Blue Grosbeak and Rose-Breasted Grosbeak at the feeders.

Derby Week!

by charliespencer ·

Don’t expect much from the TR staff this week. They’ll be spending all their time at the track, swilling juleps.

And as it’s Jason’s Burfday this week

by hal 9000 ·

Hippo Burfday Jason.

See you didn’t escape. :^0

Col

He took the week off

by Sonja Thompson ·

In reply to And as it’s Jason’s Burfday this week

and so we joked about ordering a keg first thing Monday morning… at least, I think it was a joke. 😉

That explains it.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to He took the week off

I was wondering why the site’s content is so much more coherent this morning. I said to myself, “Self, either people aren’t having to write down to Jason’s reading level, or the staff is snockered (again).”

I never suspected it was both.

Viewing 5 reply threads