General discussion

Trust relationship in win 2000 server

By marlou_mac98 ·
I have two domain A & B in our network, when i configure the trust relation between the two domains the member server of the other domain A see the list of client of domain B but the domain B cannot see the client list of the domain A. The server give me a error of " No authority could be contacted for authentication ".
Pls. help me on this. thanks in advanced.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Trust relationship in win ...

Tim Walsh might be best to answer this question. However, there are a couple different "Trust" relationships between domains. There is two way trust between domains and a one way trasitive trust as well as I think one or two more. You don't mention what server software on Domain A or Domain B. Knowing which software is running plays a big role in determining what the problem might be. For more information on Trusts see Microsoft technet [article 308195 How to Establish Trusts with Windows NT based domains and Windows 2000 might be a good starting point.

Collapse -

by marlou_mac98 In reply to Trust relationship in win ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by timwalsh In reply to Trust relationship in win ...

If both domains are child domains of the same Active Directory forest, then two-way transitive trusts are automatically created between all domains in the forest.

If the domains are in separate forests, then you must specifically create non-transitive trusts in each direction (in the same manner as creating trusts in WinNT).

From the error message you descibe, if both domains are in separate forests, these are the possibilities:
1. The trust that allows Domain B to trust domain A doesn't exist or wasn't created successfully.
2. The domain controller in Domain A could not be reached, or there are problems with Domain A.

You might want to search your Event logs for error messages to gain more insight into the problem.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by kmcniff In reply to Trust relationship in win ...

As stated in the answers before, if these domains are in different forests, then the trust(s) must be created manually. If they are in the same forest, then these trusts are created automatically. The trusts can be verified in the Active Directory Domains and Trusts MMC. You will want to verify the trust in EACH direction, i.e. from A to B and from B to A. Often times if replication errors occur these Automatic Internal Two-Way Transitive Trusts can be broken.

I believe that there is another issue here as well. It seems to be a DNS issue. Most problems in AD will be because of a DNS issue. You will need to create a secondayr zone for domain A in the B domain, and a secondayr zone in domain B for A. You must be able to ping by name all DC's in the other domain. AD uses DNS and SRV records to locate services and machines on the network. After the DNS is solved, then you should be able to 'SEE' the other domains. When you can 'Browse' the domins you will be able to establish thenecessary trusts.

Collapse -

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums