General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Ubuntu, what do you think?

by ipeters61 ·

Ubuntu has become the most popular Linux distribution in the world, I want to know your opinion about it. I hate it, in my personal opinion, Ubuntu isn’t Linux. Unbuntu is crap, it is too easy, therefore, it isn’t Linux. Linux is meant to be hard to use. Dell has made it too widespread to the point where the true reason why Linux is secure (because so few people use it), more people will have a reason to hack it.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

For the sake of my head, don’t anybody respond.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Ubuntu, what do you think?

There’s more trolling here than a fishing tournament.

Poor points

by iainwrig ·

Just becuase something is easy does not mean is no longer useful, it is quite the opposite. Ubuntu’s goal is not to make an OS that runs without a window manager and uses only terminal…They want a widespread, widely supported, friendly operating system so people don’t have to give into buying winblows. They have definately accomplished that. Frankly people dont have time to hack at terminal for hours because they want to accomplish a simple task, that is where linux has failed previously. Ubuntu has evolved into something (more) useable by the general public which is a huge leap forward, I am quite positive the open source community is embracing this change and looking to continue growing its market share. I have a feeling the Founder of Ubuntu has thought about what security practices/measures need to be in place, it’s not like 1 million users (or whatever it is)who contribute are going to forget about locking down the OS.

Wow, and I don’t care…

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to Poor points

I don’t get why people can’t just buy a Mac, it doesn’t crash, leave Linux to geeks. Think what you want about Ubuntu, guess what my favorite distribution is… Fedora Core.

$$$$

by bradgalliford ·

In reply to Wow, and I don’t care…

people done want to BUY their OS..

Thats the whole point!

And……

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to $$$$

Why make Linux easy, it should only be for geeks!

Gods, I hate myself already.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to And……

Why shouldn’t Linux be easy?

Why should it be only for geeks?

What can you do in Fedora that someone else can’t do with Ubuntu?

There are many Linux professionals here who apparently haven’t found this discussion yet. I know several who would say Fedora and SUSE are sacrificing processor cycles to run the Gnome or K GUI desktops. According to them, true geeks operate only from the command line, and roll their own distributions from scratch when they bother to run Linux instead of BSD.

Why?.. Again

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to Gods, I hate myself already.

Linux was written for programmers to use the command line more often. In Fedora, you have access to the frigging command line and a root account that actually has a point to be used (the command line). Heck, I use the command line more on my Mac OS X 10.3 G3 than the GUI.

oh, smack the big P time

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Gods, I hate myself already.

Silly boy, trying to logically explain a point against a troll. When will you learn?

Ubuntu is exactly what it needs to be.

by bradgalliford ·

From wikipedia

Ubuntu?s slogan ? ?Linux for Human Beings?, encapsulates one of its main goals ? making Linux more available and easy to use.

So, if you set out to make a car that uses 100 gallons of gas to go 1 mile, and change it to a car that will go 100 miles on 1 gallon.. regardless of the Arabs saying “No NO NO , thats not what a car is ment to be like! It needs to be hard and use alot of gas for it to be a true car!” Well, thats “true”, but not “best”. Ubuntu might not be “true” linux, however, it is the “best” linux out there right now.

Why?

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to Ubuntu is exactly what it needs to be.

Fedora and SuSE, they at least make the OS… Linux-like! Yet again, its not my fault that people are too cheap to buy a Mac or something, it’s their fault that they can’t understand Linux!

I smell a pointy haired department head..

by bradgalliford ·

In reply to Why?

Why? Because they want to. Glad your not my boss.

You smell wrong brad

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I smell a pointy haired department head..

Clearly this trollboy is more of a wally than a boss, even a pointy haired one.

Probably under 21 to boot, as is clear from his lack of social skills.

Great! Now time for me to “quote ‘The Office'”

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to You smell wrong brad

“Yes! I become a little frustrated when I am dealing with incompetence!” – Dwight Schrute

Well, I am not in your department

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to I smell a pointy haired department head..

I am a director of transportation engineering at a 3rd Party civil engineering firm.

What do I think?

by lnxfan ·

Ubuntu is the best distribution ever! And it adheres to the GNU/GPL philosophy. Not as Crappy Red Hat and F***in Novell who signed with the devil itself (Microsoft). I do prefer Kubuntu, but Ubuntu is fair to its philosophy… “Towards humanity… Linux for humans!”

And it still Linux, whether you like it or not. And it’s more Linux than any other because its COMPLETELY FREE!!!! “AS FREE BEER!”

Greets!
      lnxfan

Look at Fedora or OpenSuSE

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to What do I think?

At least you have a root account to access for huge software installations.

Now…

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to Look at Fedora or OpenSuSE

You know what!? Lets just drop the topic. You guys suck up to stupid software that you use, I will use my stupid software. I will think what I want, you can think your way. I have to get back to my planning of complicated highway systems.

You plan complicated highway systems?

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Now…

Those Hot Wheels tracks are tough. Do you have the one with the alligator or the one with the octopus?

Ha, ha

by ipeters61 ·

In reply to You plan complicated highway systems?

To tell you the truth, I am currently trying to find out a way to connect I-84 and I-91 without having some environmentalist get in my way. The highways have a poorly designed system of about 25 ramps that all connect to several city streets (e.g.: Morgan Street, Trumbull Street, State Street, and Columbus Blvd).

How about easy highway systems?

by mike.walker ·

In reply to You plan complicated highway systems?

Maybe if he’d been exposed to Ubuntu earlier there would be more straight roads? 😉

Come to think of it, I am smart

by ipeters61 ·

Just read my blog, the Connecticut Road Blog, http://roadgeek9.blogspot.com/

If you’re director of transportation engineering at a 3rd Party CE firm

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Come to think of it, I am smart

From your blog, which didn’t exist before this month:

“All information on this blog will be from: http://www.kurumi.com and the Wikipedia, when I am trying to find more information”

You design roads for a civil engineering firm and the best sources of highway information you can access are Wikipedia and your personal web page? None of the information on your blog from your civil engineering design firm? By the way, what kind of engineering company can’t host a blog on it’s own web site?

The only reference to road design on your kurumi page is http://www.kurumi.com/roads/matr/index.html

I don’t think playing a highway design game qualifies you as an engineer. I’ll call you if I need a design for a gravel driveway. In the meantime, it’s time for you to turn your sign from “STOP” to “SLOW”.

You have a great deal to learn about Linux and general OS architecture

by neon samurai ·

First, “Linux” is only the kernel. Each distribution is a separate OS based on the same commodity parts wrapped around that commodity kernel called Linux. Each different distribution has it’s own goals and design traits.

Unbuntu is crap, it is too easy, therefore, it isn’t Linux. Linux is meant to be hard to use.

No, Linux is meant to *be*; end of statement. That’s the end of it, it’s not meant to be hard or easy. Some distributions make a point of being hard to use while other’s like Ubuntu make it very easy too use. What makes Linux based distributions worth looking at is the better system design, modular customization, transparency of source code, freedom to use and redistribute and better computing for everyone. Don?t hate Linux because a distribution made it usable for average people. This status symbol ?I run Linux so I?m better than you? crap doesn?t help anyone.

?
      Dell has made it too widespread to the point where the true reason why Linux is secure (because so few people use it), more people will have a reason to hack it.
      ?

This is based on a complete myth. Linux is not more secure because less people use it. Linux is not more secure because fewer Crackers target it. Linux is more secure because it?s based on the Unix security model and because critical bugs can be discovered or fixed by any of the thousands of people in the FOSS developer community. The source is transparent so anyone can audit the actual code they are running and be sure no backdoors are written in.

If Linux is more secure because it?s targeted less then please consider the server market where Linux and other Unix servers are the majority yet they still manage to stand up to cracking attempts far better than other OS.

Say it with me; Obscurity is not Security, Obscurity is not Security, Obscurity is not Security.

As for my own opinions:

Ubuntu is a very nice distribution meant to be easy to use for people who have only ever known the Windows way of using a machine. I think it?s great that Dell is offering it and can?t wait to start seeing real world sales figures now that a large company is selling. I?d like to see ubuntu offer that same ease of use without reducing the overall security level of *nix though.

Ubuntu is not my distribution of choice but I do recommend it to friends. My various needs are filled by a selection of other general and specialized distributions.

I also understand that Linux has the security advantage of Unix design so is a great deal less vulnerable than what?s in 90% of homes today. When Linux gains more market share on the desktop; it will continue to respond quickly to bug reports. Popularity isn?t an issue in regards to security.

(I could write more or proofread this but it?s home-time)

Then make your own fork,

by sonicsteve ·

and change it into obscurity. No one will use except for you.

WOW – what comments

by the ‘g-man.’ ·

you show a complete lack of basic understanding. No point in even taking this further.

Close the door on your way out!

Viewing 7 reply threads