General discussion

Unable to boot to XP or 2000

By tobs ·
I recently assembled a new PC (P4 3.2GHZ, M/B Asus P5GD1 LGA 775, PowerColor x600xt Graphics card, Geil DDR 512MB). I used my old hard disk (Seagate ST340014A 40GB) which is the one I'm using on my other PC. I have a dual boot config on this hard disk (XP and 2000). When I bootup my new PC, I reach bootloader, and from here I could choose which OS to boot. But everytime I boot to XP, my PC restarts. If I boot to 2000, I get blue screen (Inaccessible Boot Device) and I have to restart again. I can see in BIOS setup my hard disk is detected. I also confirmed my hard disk is working by trying it again in my old PC. I changed IDE cable also but still the same problem. Is this just BIOS setup problem? Have any one experienced this?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by house In reply to Unable to boot to XP or 2 ...

You will see more problems than this if you are taking an old installation and shoving it into a new PC. I have never done this myself, nor would I even try. Since the error that is indicated is pointing to your boot.ini, are you using the same primary and secondary master and slave? Personally, I would back up any vital data, kill the disk, and start from scratch.

Collapse -

by house In reply to

Wow - Thanks to the third response for the info. I am aware that this is possible, but I've never had the patience to do this myself. Everything has to be removed in order for it to detect the new hardware. It is more trouble than it's worth though, in my opinion.

Collapse -

by Oz_Media In reply to Unable to boot to XP or 2 ...

I would also recommend a reformat and try again.

One MAJOR issue with XP and older hardwrae is compliancy though. XP does NOT like older hardware, therefore it couls be a driver issue, thus the BSOD in 2000 and the restart in XP (by default XP restarts on system error, if that was disabled you'd most likely get a BSOD in XP).

Have you tried booting into safe mode and checking for driver issues?

These issues could be due to the network card, old sound drivers, incompatible graphics card drivers etc.

If you do reformat, make SURE you have XP compliant hardware (MS has the HCL list for XP on their website)and ONLY use th elatest XP drivers.

Methinks this is an XP hardware/driver issue, as always.

Good luck.
OM

Collapse -

by tobs In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Unable to boot to XP or 2 ...

The best solution is to connect the HD back to your old PC and change configurations before moving the HD to your new PC. This assumes that the Windows with your old PC functioned perfectly. Otherwise, backup data and start from scratch in your new PC.

1. Backup your data.

2. Boot to Windows XP.

3. For Steps 4, 5, and 6, do not restart when asked. Otherwise you have to do all over again.

4. Remove or uninstall all drivers and devices from Add/Remove Programs or Device Manager.

5. Remove all chipset devices from the System Devices in Device Manager.

6. Replace the chipset IDE Controller with Standard IDE Controller.

7. Chipset IDE Controller (right click) > Update Driver > Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) > Next > Don?t Search. I will choose the driver to install > Next > Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller > Next

8. Restart when asked. Boot to Windows 2000 and follow steps 4, 5, 6, and 7.

9. Shut down computer when asked to restart. Remove the HD and install it in the new PC.

10. Boot to Windows XP. You may have to reactivate before you can log in. Just follow the instructions. Let Windows install all the drivers it can. Install Motherboard and other necessary drivers. Once this is done, boot to Windows 2000 and follow the same procedure.

11. All your programs and data should be intact.

12. If somehow, Windows does not boot, you need to reinstall Windows (in-place upgrade or repair installation) over the current one. You need to reinstall all MS critical updates and hot fixes including Service Pack.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

References:

http://tinyurl.com/zdnv How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

http://tinyurl.com/yqnte How To Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003

http://tinyurl.com/6swku How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000

http://tinyurl.com/6lpo8 What an in-place Windows 2000 upgrade changes and what it does not change

If you need more information or help, please post a comment.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

I have been involved in numerous occasions removing a Windows 2K or XP HD to a different MB because the MB died or simply needed to be upgraded. Sometimes the HD was moved to a totally a new PC.

I have never failed.

Once you understand the procedure, it is so simple process.

It sure beats clean installing Windows, drivers, applications, and restoring data.

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to

Not to mention MS critical upfates, hotfixes, and even Service Pack.

Collapse -

by tobs In reply to

Poster rated this answer.

Collapse -

by tobs In reply to Unable to boot to XP or 2 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)