General discussion

Undocking ThinkPad701C internal modem?

By born@1925 ·
Ever since the kids installed & removed the game Duke Nukem I can no longer complete a dialup. Telco operator recording says, "redial 1 or 0 and the number" and when that is done operator says, "no need to do that".
How do I access configuration tochoose:-
Dock
Undock
Or what can I do to eliminare using the external modem that DOES dialup successfully?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by born@1925 In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

Point value changed by question poster.

Collapse -

by robert_a_mocarski In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

First, verify that the phone number and our dialing properties are correct. When you attempt to dial up, Windows will display the phone number it is trying to dial. Make sure the number listed there is correct.

As far as hardware configurations, if Windows can identify the configuration it is in, it will automatically load that config without any prompts. To force the prompt, create a new profile. Windows will then ask you which you want to use when you boot. To do this, go into System in Control Panel, and select the hardware profiles tab. Select one and copy it, then boot into that one and edit it as needed.

To disable one of the modems (it sounds like you have one internal and one external), on the device manager tab of System, double click on the device that you do not want to have active. On the general tab of the window that pops up, you should have the option of disabling or removing from this hardware profile. Only remove if you have to because Windows will attempt to reinstall if it detects the device.

It sounds like the modem is working since you are dialing out. I recommend that you verify the configuration of the modem (Duke Nukem may have added a custom initialization string to the modem) and your dialing properties before you change the hardware configurations.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by GIJoe In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

The above answer was not incorrect. Not sure what you are looking for. Is this still a problem?

Collapse -

I still don't know what to do ...
at one point the screen showed choices between dock and undock ... how do I get back there, because there was no real problembefore.
Wher do I find the "string" from DukeNukom & then what?

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

Go to Start - Find - Files and Folders. Do a search for any and all files related to Duke Nukem and delete them. Then go to Start - Settings - Task Bar - Start Menu Programs. Make sure Duke Nukem is not reloading upon startup. And, of course, make sure Duke Nukem is uninstalled from the Add / Remove programs in the control panel.

If the moden still does not work, go to Control Panel - System Devices - Modems. Remove the modem. Reboot Windows. The modem should be detected by Windows and prompt you to reinstall it. Follow the prompts and install as necessary. You'll most likely have to re-enter the dialup number.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need further help.

Maxwell

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by maxwell edison In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

Go to Start - Find - Files and Folders. Do a search for any and all files related to Duke Nukem and delete them. Then go to Start - Settings - Task Bar - Start Menu Programs. Make sure Duke Nukem is not reloading upon startup. And, of course, make sure Duke Nukem is uninstalled from the Add / Remove programs in the control panel.

If the moden still does not work, go to Control Panel - System Devices - Modems. Remove the modem. Reboot Windows. The modem should be detected by Windows and prompt you to reinstall it. Follow the prompts and install as necessary. You'll most likely have to re-enter the dialup number.

Maxwell

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by JohnGreer In reply to Undocking ThinkPad701C in ...

Is this still a problem?

Back to Software Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums