General discussion

UNIX & WINDOWS 2003 Server Communicating

By TBWolfe ·
I have just incorporated our first Windows 2003 server and am experiencing problems with getting it to communicate with our UNIX server.

From the Windows 2003 server run command i put in the UNIX server ip address trying to whack into it \\servername -- when i press Run i get a prompt asking for username & password. At this point i type in my username & password and the server throws a prompt back to me with the Windows server NETBios name and my username (\\servername\username)
which the UNIX server does not recognize. This has to be a security setting or something how do i get it to drop the NETBios name and allow me to access the UNIX server?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by VinnyD In reply to UNIX & WINDOWS 2003 Serve ...

Connecting from any Windows system to a Unix computer can be done in two ways.

1. You can use Telnet or another Terminal emulator software

so from the run command box you would type "telnet servername"

This will allow you to login to the unix system as a terminal and run any unix program.

2. If you want to easily transfer files using windows explorer you will need to setup SAMBA on your unix box.

SAMBA will allow you to connect from your windows computers to the shares you create using Netbios.

I use both options myself on my Linux and Windows XP computers.

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to UNIX & WINDOWS 2003 Serve ...

Windows and Unix use entirely different username/password stores. You need to create a user on the Unix side to access shares on unix. Userids are usually stored in /etc/passwd file and groups in /etc/groups on unix.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)