Question

Upgrade Excel 2003 to Excel 2007

By Kim_Stowe ·
We are running Office 2003 on our pcs, but a few users just want Excel 2007. Is this possible to just upgrade Excel?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

If you mean "Is stand-alone Excel available?" ...

by josulliv In reply to Upgrade Excel 2003 to Exc ...

... it is, according to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101754511033.aspx#2

But you might want to consider the following from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA101650601033.aspx :

Are Office Excel 2007 files backward compatible?

Office Excel 2007 introduces the new Microsoft Office Excel XML Format, a compact, robust file format enabling improved integration with external data sources and systems. The Excel XML Format is compatible with Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP, and Microsoft Office 2000 with the addition of a file format converter patch, available from Microsoft Office Online and Microsoft Update. Users of Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office XP, and Microsoft Office 2000 can open, edit, and save files using the new Excel XML Format.

Office Excel 2007 also introduces a new binary file format. It is a full-fidelity file format just like the Ecma Office Open XML Formats and is based on the same technologies. While the Office XML Formats contain parts with XML content, a Binary Workbook contains parts with binary content. Using the Office XML Format converters, Excel 2003, 2002, and 2000 can open and save Excel Binary Workbooks.

Collapse -

Excel 2007

by Kim_Stowe In reply to If you mean "Is stand-alo ...

Thank you. This information is very helpful.

Collapse -

Excel 2007

by LittleFish 7 In reply to Excel 2007

Hi there...if your users intend to regularly share their documents, they may use 2007 and save down to 2003's .xls (or use the conversion pack); but much of the functionality, 'the pretty stuff,' which causes so much excitement and eagerness to adopt is lost.

Office experts in industries that collaborate on docs will have no problem exporting 'the pretty stuff' to pics, etc., for import to PPT, for instance. Most execs do not have a combination of: the time, the patience, nor the skill to achieve this.

If they do not primarily share and, instead, use it as a personal tool...well, no problem.

Perhaps you could tell them you appreciate and understand their eagerness and gently urge them to wait and cite the ubiquity of 2003 depending on your individual work situation...and that collaboration with clients--even coworkers--could be impeded.

Hope this helps...

Collapse -

Excel 2007

by Kim_Stowe In reply to Excel 2007

That helps a great deal. In fact that's what I was worried about because they will be doing a lot of file sharing.

I appreciate your post!

Collapse -

Upgrade Excel 2003 to 2007

by geoffh1951 In reply to Upgrade Excel 2003 to Exc ...

I have recently installed Office 2007 with Excel, I was running 2003. The other day when I opened a working spread sheet some of the data was missing, luckily I had saved a copy on a memory stick. So far I have not found a reason why. So be carefull when converting over.
Regards
geoffh1951

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Software Forums