General discussion

upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 to win98

By douglas168 ·
Goal:

I want to upgrade 100 PCs with win95 to win98 along with installed office98 and Enterprise Application.

Those 100 PCs are different (ie. Dell, HP, AST, Compaq).

What is the best way to do this? Setup Script, disk image, ghost... or any suggestions?

Appreciate any info!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

25 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by tyq In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

ghost is better for different PCs! Use ghost first and then Win98 will check hardware.

Collapse -

by douglas168 In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Claidhmore In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

Unfortunately, the problem is fairly complex and will depend upon the rest of your environment. Is each PC entirely different? or do you have 20 or this model, 15 of that model, 30 of x model etc? If you do have some significant commonalities you may want to look at the disk image option. However, this will not preserve any of the previous settings.

I'm assuming there is a network involved? If so, what is the server OS? If it is NT and you are using SMS you could use this to perform your upgrades. If it is NetWare 4.11 or greater take a look at ZenWorks. These would require some configuration to setup but would aid in this process significantly.

There are a couple of other products which are desinged to aid in OS upgrades. I don't remember the exact names and I think they were more suited toward migrating to NT workstation from 95/98. These would probably cost you a bit though.

If you don't have any of these tools currently or don't see much future use for them you may want to consider the low te

Collapse -

Collapse -

by csheltcomp In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

Most imaging such as ghost will install the exact drivers and motherboard resources on each pc. This is BAD!!!Motherboard resources will not be changed by win98 and will eventually cause the system to have problems such as fatal errors and more... Iwould rec. running a script file to each machine.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

Catargorize all PC'S by name brand and see what systems are similar in hardware and disk
drives,I would try to script install with scsi,and a ghosting with the ide drives.Looking for options and ideas is okay yet I feel that the inevitable will beto schedule a certain number of PC's to upgrade to minimize your down time.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by bwaggoner In reply to upgrading 100PCs w/ win95 ...

I would setup your initial image file on your first PC (disregard the brand) and get things the way you want. Ghost the disk to another disk (save your first disk as a master). Boot up with the second disk in safe mode and remove the majority of the items in device manager. Boot up with your master disk and your safe mode cleaned disk as a slave. Create your Ghost image file from the second drive and use it for your roll-out. When you copy the image to the various PCs you will get a cleaner detection of hardware. No system hangs due to video issues and things like that. We did this on a 400+ PC rollout of WIN95B and Office97. It worked great. We also burned the image file to a CD and used it by booting the User PC with a WIN98 boot disk, loaded the CDrom drivers and then ran ghost. The copy of 600+ MB took about 8 minutes.

Good Luck

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
25 total posts (Page 1 of 3)   01 | 02 | 03   Next

Operating Systems Forums